Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > WG Library > Book Lists

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Eco-yards by Laureen Rama

Eco-yards Simple Steps To Earth-Friendly Landscapes

I just started this book today and have finished the first couple of chapters.
Starting out with the concept of archtypes and examples in our culture then claiming that the dominant archtype in western culture has been the warrior. The use of war and battle language very common in our everyday language and the media.
But it is suggested that we need not battle the weeds or pests in an effort to gain control but instead work in cooperation with the many natural processes. We need a new archtype...a gardener.

There is lots more but a nice beginning.

Amazon.com: Eco-yards: Simple Steps to Earth-Friendly Landscapes (9780865716827): Laureen Rama: Books

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
A Bee's Best Friend

Has anyone else read or heard of this book or author? So many books out each year it is hard to keep track of but our local library found this. I have been trying to get the library staff to look at gardening books with more than just pictures and traditional gardening advice. A few years ago the then newly hired person in control of this said to me (honest word for word) "that the books from the 70's and 80's were fine for now as gardening doesn't change much." "Ha. I said,well science doesn't change either, but our knowledge does, and gardening is using this acquired knowledge. "

The shift has been slow and they will not let me recommend books(maybe I seem a bit radical?) but some progress is being made. Teaming with microbes was an excellent choice and now this book on eco-gardening is wonderful.

The chapter on soil microbes is full of digestible information (haha get that) for anyone interested in why soil health is so very important. Bacteria and fungi ratios and how they differ according to plants in the vicinity and what each provide the plants and what the plants give back is interesting and informative.
Did you know that composted manures supply good amounts of bacteria which then provide a nitrogen that the plants can easily use, for food crops and that woody materials support good fungal growth for shrubs and trees and other plants that do not require as much nitrogen. Of course both and many other soil creatures are needed to create a truly healthy soil life. Protozoa like Ciliates,amoebe and flagellates get a short nod and the good versus bad nematodes.
There are few pictures but the one of a fungal strand trapping a root sucking harmful nematode is cool.
Except for the section on Feng Shui Design Principles this book sticks to good science but even that speaks to the flow of air and water and sound that a gardener must address.
Kudos dear librarian..

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Gloria, thanks for drawing our attention to it. I love the sharing that goes on in this forum. Hopefully, when I have more time, I'll look for it and read it...and other, similar books that people recommend here.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecoyards, laureen, rama