Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > WG Library > Book Lists

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 12:27 AM   #11
Fox

Wisconsin's Natural Communities: How to Recognize Them, Where to Find Them
Randy Hoffman
The University of Wisconsin Press
Amazon.com: Wisconsin's Natural Communities: How to Recognize Them, Where to Find Them: Randy Hoffman: Books

Part 1 is an in-depth discussion of 33 distinct types of natural communities in Wisconsin. Their characteristic trees, beetles, fish, lichens, butterflies, reptiles, mammals, wildflowers - and the effects of geology, climate, and historical events on these habitats. Part 2 describes and maps 50 natural areas on public lands that are outstanding examples of these natural communities.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.

Last edited by Cirsium; 07-31-2010 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Repaired link
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #12
A Bee's Best Friend

I have just finished reading two books that were recommended here.
"Prairie Keepers Secrets of the Grasslands" (Marcy Houle)
and
Corridor Ecology: The Science and Practice of Linking Landscapes for Biodiversity Conservation by Jodi Hilty, William Z. Lidicker Jr., Adina Merenlender

Both books are excellent with Prairie Keepers telling a story of applied conservation,what actually is going on out there,
and Corridor Ecology explaining much of what has been learned about connecting the various natural spaces that animals and plants use as they move through their life cycles and the effort to ensure continuation of gene diversity in for long term survival of isolated populations.

I would add to this list...

"Nature In Fragments" The Legacy of Sprawl (Johnson and Klemens)

"Connectivity Conservation" (Crooks and Sanjayan)

"Urban Wildlife Management" (Adams, Lindsey,and Ash)
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #13
Unicellular Fungi

Corridor Ecology is indeed a fine book. We can make a difference.

How did Nature in Fragments and Connectivity Conservation compare?
Old 12-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #14
A Bee's Best Friend

Connectivity Conservation Crooks and Sanjayan, has more information about feasiblity studies and projected test models. I was interested in how they go about computer modeling the possible corridor sites.
One in particular,southern California from the Los Angeles through San Diego area, was well documented.
There are 12 core patches ,mostly National Forest protected areas in the mountains. The fast rate of land use change into urban or agricultural uses was causing the patches to become isolated form one another. Development even taking place on steep slopes previously thought safe.
Using previously collected radiotelemetry data from tagged pumas and and newer GIS technology ,all movement that the animals make while traveling from patch to patch were used to fiqure out where corridors should go and how successful current movement was through the landscape between protected areas.
Land bounderies were between
habitat to urban
habitat to disturbed
disturbed to urban
disturbed to habitat
urban to habitat
urban to disturbed

animal to core angles and distance of successful movements were mapped.

White used for habitat
light grey for disturbed
dark grey for urban
black for water

Both current land use and worst case (all unprotected land being used in ways that prohibited movement of animals) maps were projected.

In existing landscape ...
132 possible links were calculated , only 12 were actually used.

41% of animals left the southern california region
50.6 (edit...I did not have book just my notes as I wrote this. This 50% finished number of moves monitored within area but did not state anything further just that none sucessfully moved into another core area. If they left one core and then returned or something happened to them before reaching another core patch would be conjecture on my part. If they knew it was not discussed.)
8.1% successfully reached another core.

In the worse case landscape...
near complete breakdown of connectivity occurred.

These maps help land managers create corridors while animals are still using the landscape to traverse from region to region.
It became clear that existing habitats are becoming more and more isolated potentially hendering genetic diversity,evolutionary processes, and the ability of species to shift range in response to long term environmental trends.

Roads seem to be the major challenge. Wherever there are roads humans activity is heavier and animal mortality is high.

Nature In Fragments The Legacy of Sprawl (Johnson and Klemens)

This book is by far the best I have read. I took so many notes my hand was cramping. It deals with urban/suburban ecology as it exists.
A whole section is on living soils and how the removal of organic debris has the most harmful effects on decomposers,macrofungi and ectomycorrhizal fungi.
It talks about other urban suburban land use that contributes to low litter depth.
The discussion about suitible habitat within the urban /suburban matrix and degrees of animal synanthropy from completely unable to cope to full symbiotic relationships.
All fascinating.
Quite a few ongoing experiments in major cities are cited
The Florida Ecological Network
Chicago Wilderness alliance
New Jersey Landscape Project
Massachusettes Biomap
Eastern Westchester Biotic corridor

Restoration, rehabilitation and community awareness , there is a lot going on out there.

I had picked this book up at the library but intend to buy it very soon. There is so much information to digest and so much more to look into.

Last edited by Gloria; 12-04-2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: claification
Old 01-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #15
A Bee's Best Friend

Equil, I finally got around to picking up "Miracle Under The Oaks" by William K Stevens. It is online at google books but they don't show all the pages,just tease you.
Read Amazon.com: The Tallgrass Restoration Handbook: For Prairies, Savannas, and Woodlands (9781559633208): Stephen Packard, Cornelia F. Mutel: Books after meeting Stephen Packard. He is my new hero. He is now regional something or other for the Audubon Society. I don't think he is still part of TNC. (Wouldn't you love a conversation with him about that? I am not brave enough to try ).
Anyway, "Miracle Under The Oaks" has a lot of information about Packard and his involvement with the success of local volunteer restoration projects and the incredible way he(Packard) went about discovering what plant communities to use in Savanna restoration within the eastern tallgrass prairie ecosystem. The work itself was convincing him that there was more to the story than just a transition between grassland and woodland. Working with biologists and other restorationist he discovered a community of savanna plants for the tallgrass region around the great lakes. He even wrote a paper about his findings.
I just loved this book and recommend it to anyone living in the area or interested in how to develope a plant community within your ecoregion.

http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Under-.../dp/067178045X

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/

Tags
book, books, ecology, ecosystem, experience, gardening, great lakes, list, local, miracle under the oaks, noah's garden, plant community, prairie, projects, read, reading, recommended book, restor, restoration, restore, savanna plants, savannah, stephen packard, tallgrass