Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > WG Library > Book Lists

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 02:00 AM   #1
Fox

Default Garden design and landscaping books

Which books have helped you the most in "putting it all together"?

Where have you found the best ideas?

Have any books been especially helpful in creating your garden or outdoor space?

Please share your favorite design and landscaping books on this thread!

For each book, include title and author, plus an explanatory sentence or two if you have time. If you have more to say about the book, please also open a new "BOOK" thread, so others can learn about and discuss the book.

List as many or as few books as you like.

Thanks!
Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
WG Writer

The American Gardener's Calendar: Adapted to the Climates and Seasons of the United States (1806) - Bernard McMahon, Paperback Books India - Infibeam.com

Bernard McMahon's The American Gardenes Calendar (1806) is still an American classic. It has instructions for making a hot bed and advice for each month of the year - based in Philadelphia.

As for "putting it together" Gertrude Jekyl is a basic vision for any gardener and her principles apply to the US although the English plants do not do well in the American South. Ann Lovejoy has adapted the Jekyl natural garden style for American Gardens. As in her "Mixed American Borders".
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

'The American Woodland Garden: Capturing the Spirit of the Deciduous Forest' by Rick Darke, Timber Press: The American Woodland Garden
'Planting Noah's Garden: Further Adventures in Backyard Ecology' by Sara Stein, Amazon.com: Planting Noah's Garden: Further Adventures in Backyard Ecology: Sara B. Stein: Books
'Natural Landscaping: Designing with Native Plant Communities' by John Diekelmann, Amazon.com: Natural Landscaping: Designing with Native Plant Communities: John Diekelmann, Robert M. Schuster: Books

Last edited by Cirsium; 07-31-2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Repaired links
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
Heron

EQ beat me to it, but I would put the same books:

Noah's Garden, by Sarah Stein (and Planting Noah's garden)

I was doing native landscapes before I read Sarah Stein, she put many of my intuitions and thoughts right on the page, so she helped me verbalize why I plant native and how to plant native.

Natural Landscaping: Designing with Native Plant Communities
- by John Diekelmann and Robert Schuster

This was the book I picked up right before I planted anything native. I enjoyed some of the historical references. Great simple sample sketches of planning a landscape.

Its not a book, but I would also recommend that anyone landscaping with natives be familiar with the Wild One's Handbook. Available on line:
http://www.epa.gov/greenacres/wildones/
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, design, garden, landscaping, list, natural landscaping, noah's garden