Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > WG Library > Book Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 02:11 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default ’Slaying the Sky Dragon: Death of the Greenhouse Gas Theory by Tim Ball

’Slaying the Sky Dragon: Death of the Greenhouse Gas Theory’ by Tim Ball

Amazon.com: Slaying the Sky Dragon - Death of the Greenhouse Gas Theory eBook: Tim Ball, Claes Johnson, Martin Hertzberg, Joseph A. Olson, Alan Siddons, Charles Anderson, Hans Schreuder, John O'Sullivan: Kindle Store.

I haven’t read it but…. I definitely want to…just as soon as it comes out in paperback or shows up at my library. What originally endeared me to this author was his passion for the environment which I first discovered in something he wrote in 2007, Global Warming rivals Sponsorship Scandal

Quote:
“Many years ago, I warned Henry Hengeveld of Environment Canada (EC) that, if he thought it was difficult to convince ministers and MPs that global warming was due to human carbon dioxide (CO2) production, it would be twice as difficult to change their minds once they were convinced. The theory was, and still is, unproven of course, but by adopting it so completely so early on, Hengeveld would find himself on a treadmill virtually impossible to get off …Yet Hengeveld made a career out of CO2 by producing a monthly magazine on the topic. Instead of following the scientific method of trying to disprove the hypothesis that human CO2 was causing climate change, Hengeveld and other EC employees were essentially directed to find evidence that it was correct--despite increasing indications it wasn't…McBean, Hengeveld and others at EC led the department to take the singular and unsupportable position that climate change due to human CO2 was established fact. They were a perfect example of MIT Professor of Meteorology Richard S. Lindzen's observation that the consensus was reached before the research had even begun. They, and many of their EC colleagues, effectively thwarted the standard methods of science to promote a political agenda at taxpayers' expense, causing extensive damage to the entire environmental program, leaving much important environmental work inadequately funded. Diversion and misuse of funds meant EC didn't even achieve their own pollution reduction targets, especially in Southern Ontario.”
This was one of the most powerful statements I have ever read
“They, and many of their EC colleagues, effectively thwarted the standard methods of science to promote a political agenda at taxpayers' expense, causing extensive damage to the entire environmental program, leaving much important environmental work inadequately funded.”
Here’s a really great comment
http://www.spectator.co.uk/melanieph...y-dragon.thtmlReligious leaders once believed the sun revolved around the earth, because they believed mankind was God's special creation and therefore everything must revolve around us.
Another name for this is human vanity, and it is this same sense of importance that leads some to believe humans are capable of determining climate.”

Check this out:
Top Science Panel Caught in Another Global Warming Data Fraud
Quote:
Mišo Alkalaj, is one of 24 expert authors of this two-volume publication, among them are qualified climatologists, prominent skeptic scientists and a world leading math professor. It is Alkalaj’s chapter in the second of the two books that exposes the fraud concerning the isotopes 13C/12C found in carbon dioxide (CO2).

If true, the disclosure may possibly derail last-ditch attempts at a binding international treaty to ‘halt man-made global warming.’ At minimum the story will be sure to trigger a fresh scandal for the beleaguered United Nations body.”
I’m not up to another scandal…. who is but…. I sure would like to see the US follow Canada’s lead by cutting the funding to global warming "science" so we can free up $$$ for meaningful environmental work. This author’s got a website, Slaying the Sky Dragon | Death of the Greenhouse Gas Theory and there’s some sample chapters available if anyone’s interested, Slaying the Sky Dragon | Sample Chapters. It’s still Amazon’s best selling book in science since November when it was 1st released so maybe somebody here’s already read it and can comment.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
The Bug Whisperer

I would treat this one with an extremely large grain of salt. If the allegations presented therein were true, there would be a flurry of articles in Nature, Science, and other major journals. Scientists are as human as anyone else, and would not likelto be left in the lurch, so to speak. Also, I believe that Mišo Alkalaj is off base with his C13/C12 bit - the isotope ratio in itself does not appear essential to the argument that human activity is responsible for much of the increase in atmospheric CO2, it is the overall carbon 'budget' of the earth that should be examined - see RealClimate: How much of the recent CO2 increase is due to human activities?
IMHO, Amazon.com is taking advantage of American's appetite for pseudoscience.

Henry Ward Beecher
Old 12-22-2010, 12:39 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Another book you didn't read that you have no intentions of reading that you're commenting on>>>? Lemme guess.... you didn't waste your time reading a sample chapter either. And..... another link to that website Michael Mann co-founded.... Real Climate. Why.... bless you.... my night just wouldn't be complete without seeing them plastered all over one of your posts.... again.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:51 AM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

You know something…. I’ve reconsidered…. Ah belieeeeeeeeve. Forgive me for ever questioning this “mainstream” opinion of global warming. Hail Mary Praise the Lord Ah’ve seen the light….. it’s a consensus of 78…. or was it 76….. IPCC climate scientists!!! I’ll run right over to that site you’re a walking billboard for to hone up on all my "facts".... no need for me to think for myself with such an invaluable tool at my fingertips in so many threads!!! I’ve traveled a lot in my life…. I’ve seen entire countries of people eking out an existence living day to day and…. Monbiot’s article and all the comments from diehard “believers” have convinced me their intentions are honorable and above reproach and that we “believers” have only the best interests of the human race and the environment at heart when we take any action… in the name of the AGW crusade slamming total nutcases and publicity-seeking gadflies who toss those nasty stumbling blocks in our path to “educating” the huddled masses on how very real global warming... er uh climate change is. I now totally agree with giving ALL people of developing nations patented GM crops dependent on pesticides and synthetic fertilizers and forcing them to buy CO2 “reduce” and “sequester” technologies based on the “consensus” science and all that it holds for our “global” future in carbon exchanges by creating chemical dependencies that make em sick so we can sell em cures because of all the “green” humanitarians out there who “believe”…. why…. they can’t all be wrong about all those “evil” skeptics that are ALL filthy rich Christian Conservatives from the US and Canada. Goshdarnitall…. I need to kick myself a few times…. how could I have been so stupid wanting traditional plant breeding programs capable of producing warm and cold hardy non-patented varieties of food and meaningful culturally appropriate educational programming to sustain humans by bringing their populations in line with the carrying capacity of their own lands…. yes!!! Shower the people of all developed and industrialized nations with American tax $$$ collected by the UN to help everyone fight global warming by doing away with any silly ole tried and true sustainable organic practices that’ve served developing countries well for centuries and definitely do away with their seed saving by patenting everything we put in their hands. Why we can get loans for them to buy heavy equipment to farm their lands more “efficiently” too. I’ll avoid the temptation of lapsing back to my old ignorant skeptic ways by clapping my hands over my ears….closing my eyes real tight and…. humming when any new ideas and theories appear that are oppositional to the many intangible benefits of believing man’s CO2 emissions drive the climate and are therefore responsible for ALL evils of the world. I think it’s high time for me to be off spreading the gospel according to Gore that the IPCC’s science has redefined entire fields of science to include the field of restoration so I can get more folk rallied behind the UN and our President saving developing nations from global warming. I’ll start with my children. Practice makes perfect…. and they’re good targets to start with since I’m told they’re impressionable. I’m long overdue preaching to restoration professionals who ditched this site because they didn’t “believe”…. I must find a way to reach out to them…. to “enlighten” them as I’ve been “enlightened” ….. before they do something stupid. Well…. I’ve definitely got my work cut out for me…. no time to waste getting plants and animals moved to “safer” areas predicted by those HADCRUT computer climate models our BigGov “adopted” why…. I should have plenty of time this winter to getta movin’ on creating some novel assemblages of species that will be resilient to global warming and if I’m really lucky….. I’ll have plenty of time to play with breeding native species adaptable to scorching heat just like a good little conservation CO2 soldier. I feel warm all over being a warmist just thinking about how much good I’ll be able to accomplish in the name of global warming…. er uh….. climate change er uh…. ocean acidification…. er uh the biodiversity crisis er uh…. whatever the UN is calling their redistribution crisis du jour!!! Gosh…. My only worries are that I hope I haven’t lost too much time jumping on the assisted migration and managed relocation of species bandwagon to do my part for the cause lest all those trillions spent trying to validate global warming go down the tubes….. it’s all about biodiversity now and the climate’s a changin’ ….. why I could be under water or in a dustbowl soon if I don’t hurry so I best be off…. must start preachin’ to all those close-minded scientific method purists.
Find somebody else to hound…. I’m a convert. Ba bye.
Closed Thread

Tags
’slaying, ball, book, book list, books, climate change, death, dragon, gas, global warming, greenhouse, greenhouse gas, read, reading, reading list, recommended, recommended book, recommended books, sky, theory, tim, ’slaying