Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > WG Library > Book Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 02:36 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Nature in Fragments: The Legacy of Sprawl (American Museum of Natural History Series on Biodiversity

Nature in Fragments: The Legacy of Sprawl (American Museum of Natural History Series on Biodiversity)
Elizabeth A. Johnson (Editor), Michael W. Klemens (Editor), Amazon.com: Nature in Fragments: The Legacy of Sprawl (American Museum of Natural History Series on Biodiversity) (9780231127790): Elizabeth A. Johnson, Michael W. Klemens: Books This is another compendium. I haven't read it but it's on my list. A review of the book,
0231127790: Nature in Fragments: The Legacy of Sprawl by Professor Elizabeth A Johnson (Editor), Professor Michael W Klemens (Editor) (Used, New, Out-of-Print) - Alibris "This new collection focuses on the impact of sprawl on biodiversity and the measures that can be taken to alleviate it. Leading biological and social scientists, conservationists, and land-use professionals examine how sprawl affects species and alters natural communities, ecosystems, and natural processes. The contributors integrate biodiversity issues, concerns, and needs into the growing number of anti-sprawl initiatives, including the "smart growth" and "new urbanist" movements."

Last edited by Cirsium; 07-31-2010 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Repaired links
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
A Bee's Best Friend

Great book Equil. Let me know what you think after reading.

I had written this little bit of a review but it is in lists.

Gardening experience and local ecology books

Nature In Fragments The Legacy of Sprawl (Johnson and Klemens)
This book is by far the best I have read. I took so many notes my hand was cramping. It deals with urban/suburban ecology as it exists.
A whole section is on living soils and how the removal of organic debris has the most harmful effects on decomposers,macrofungi and ectomycorrhizal fungi.
It talks about other urban suburban land use that contributes to low litter depth.
The discussion about suitable habitat within the urban /suburban matrix and degrees of animal synanthropy from completely unable to cope to full symbiotic relationships.
All fascinating.
Quite a few ongoing experiments in major cities are cited
The Florida Ecological Network
Chicago Wilderness alliance
New Jersey Landscape Project
Massachusettes Biomap
Eastern Westchester Biotic corridor
Restoration, rehabilitation and community awareness , there is a lot going on out there.
I had picked this book up at the library but intend to buy it very soon. There is so much information to digest and so much more to look into.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:59 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Oh good! It's a keeper! Say... you don't know what happened to the Chicago Wilderness Magazine do you? I read something jpdenk said and it got me wondering why they stopped allowing renewals of our subscriptions.

Tags
american, biodiversity, fragments, history, legacy, museum, natural, nature, series, sprawl