Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > WG Library > Book Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
Co-Administrator

bald eagle Crossley ID Guide: Raptors by Richard Crossley, Jerry Liguori & Brian Sullivan

The Cornell Lab of Ornithology
News Release
April 4, 2013

Get Rapt About Raptors with New ID Guide

Panoramic scenes show birds the way people really see them

Ithaca, N.Y.
—Putting a name to a bird is one of the thrills of bird watching. But that’s a real challenge when it comes to raptors, with their changing plumages, deceptive sizes, and tendency to be seen at a distance. The Crossley ID Guide: Raptors, now available from Princeton University Press, features North American raptors in gorgeous double-page layouts that show the birds in varying light, different plumages, and from many vantage points.

“There are a lot of books out there that provide plumage details, but I really like the way Richard Crossley creates these panoramas showing birds in their habitat,” says co-author Brian Sullivan, co-leader of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s eBird project. “I really enjoyed writing the introductions to each species account with Jerry Liguori. We tried to capture the essence of the bird in these vignettes through varying perspectives, and the species accounts are geared to simplify the identification of this notoriously challenging group.”

The key to raptor ID in most cases begins with shape, Sullivan points out. “Learning to distinguish the shapes of the different groups of raptors can help you quickly limit your choices, after which you can focus on more subtle flight style differences and broad plumage patterns.”

From the Red-tailed Hawk, to the Bald Eagle, Mississippi Kite, Osprey, and the Turkey Vulture, this new book spotlights the 34 species of North American diurnal raptors. With hawk migration now underway, these powerful, charismatic birds can be found in cities, suburbs, and country settings. There are many opportunities to test yourself with “mystery plates” scattered throughout the book.

“People love working out puzzles because they are fun and because they help us improve at whatever we do,” says Richard Crossley. “The sense of accomplishment and understanding that come from figuring out the answer for ourselves is a powerful incentive to spend more time learning about and appreciating nature.”

The Crossley ID Guide: Raptors is available online and in book stores. Grab a copy, get inspired, and go hawk-watching! Also check the Cornell Lab of Ornithology Facebook page for raptor quizzes during April.

Contacts:

Pat Leonard, Cornell Lab of Ornithology, (607) 25402137, pel27@cornell.edu
Jessica Pellien, Princeton University Press, (609) 258-7879, jessica_pellien@press.princeton.edu (review copies)

Crossley, R. and Liguori, J., Sullivan, B.: The Crossley ID Guide: Raptors.

Amazon.com: The Crossley ID Guide: Raptors (Crossley Id Guides) (9780691157405): Richard Crossley, Jerry Liguori, Brian Sullivan: Books

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Circium,
Thanks for 'making' me buy another book! Argghh!

Actually, I have several Crossley field guides, so this'll add nicely to the collection. Most of my field guides are being man handled by a bunch of 4th grade boys right now. They sign them out from my personal library and walk around for days, studying them and teaching me new facts. Just their latest obsession...last month they all studied the Almanacs! I love my job!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
Co-Administrator

Always glad to help.

Life is good when your work rewards you with a feeling of accomplishment.

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirsium View Post
Always glad to help.

Life is good when your work rewards you with a feeling of accomplishment.
I ordered the Crossley guide and then several more field guides to add to my collection.

Yes, life is good. Thanks for reminding me.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brian, crossley, guide, jerry, liguori, raptors, richard, sullivan