Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
Heron

cardinal2 What bird pairs have you seen this spring frequenting your garden?

Could we have a thread for the bird pairs that you have been seeing this spring in your yard? Not necessarily nesting in your yard, just nesting somewhere in the neighborhood. Our mini-pond has been attracting birds by the droves. Yet few of these actually nest in my yard since all of the thicket shrubs I've planted are still too small for nests... sadly

American Goldfinch
Blue Jay (I assume male and female, since it's always two birds together)
House Finch
Red-bellied Woodpecker (both male and female spotted at my pond and on the old Ash tree in my yard)
Northern Flicker (also not nesting in my yard, but I've spotted them in my yard)
Downy Woodpecker
Black-capped chickadee ? (assume male and female)
White-breasted Nuthatch
American Robin (nesting in our hackberry tree)
Chipping Sparrow
Mourning Dove (which my two year old calls "Good Morning Doves")

*Not sure if I should also count Wood Ducks. there is a pair of them nesting nearby that often fly over my yard (LOL) calling to each other.

We are not inundated with House Sparrows, but unfortunately I have seen one pair of them frequenting the area. Also there are often other birds nesting in the area that have yet to arrive this season. We usually have Northern Orioles in the neighborhood, as well as House Wrens. What are the bird pairs others of you have seen in your garden?
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeWonderful View Post
Could we have a thread for the bird pairs that you have been seeing this spring in your yard? Not necessarily nesting in your yard, just nesting somewhere in the neighborhood. Our mini-pond has been attracting birds by the droves. Yet few of these actually nest in my yard since all of the thicket shrubs I've planted are still too small for nests... sadly

American Goldfinch
Blue Jay (I assume male and female, since it's always two birds together)
House Finch
Red-bellied Woodpecker (both male and female spotted at my pond and on the old Ash tree in my yard)
Northern Flicker (also not nesting in my yard, but I've spotted them in my yard)
Downy Woodpecker
Black-capped chickadee ? (assume male and female)
White-breasted Nuthatch
American Robin (nesting in our hackberry tree)
Chipping Sparrow
Mourning Dove (which my two year old calls "Good Morning Doves")

*Not sure if I should also count Wood Ducks. there is a pair of them nesting nearby that often fly over my yard (LOL) calling to each other.

We are not inundated with House Sparrows, but unfortunately I have seen one pair of them frequenting the area. Also there are often other birds nesting in the area that have yet to arrive this season. We usually have Northern Orioles in the neighborhood, as well as House Wrens. What are the bird pairs others of you have seen in your garden?
Last year I had a nesting pair of house wrens that were so aggressive with chickadees that had made a nearby nest that I took both boxes down this year. I'm hoping with a one year hiatus, that they will find another place to go each year. Talk about poor manners!!! They destroyed the nests of the chickadees and killed fledglings. Not my favorite native bird...

This year I have my usual pair of doves and I await my buddy, the catbird whom I have a special relationship with. He's the one I always seem to torment inadvertantly by accidently trimming the shrub back that he has built his nest in, or catching him in my HOSP trap. Nevertheless, he always comes back. I know it's the same bird because his habits each year are identical to the year before, going to the same shrub, sitting wih his blueberry on the same stump, and brazenly paying me no heed.

I do like that bird, however...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Heron

Yes, I have heard about the aggressiveness of House Wrens. It's not a great thing, but I'm not sure what can be done about it. Every summer there has been one nesting in one corner of our yard. (Not in a birdhouse, we've had no birdhouses at all in our yard before). I imagine they'll be back this year, too.
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
Salamander

Northern Cardinals- One couple, a real treat because they were scarce this winter and now they are real estate shopping around our house.
American Robins- One on a nest in yard for sure, but my husband not knowing any nesting birds were in a dying tree he wanted to cut down (He searched first, but birds are smart and can hide their nests well), started cutting off the branches and too late he found the nest. He moved the nest to a new spot from the cut branch and mom sits on it, but it is no longer secured onto the tree I am concerned the next wind or storm will just knock it down. I also am worried it might not be as protected from predators like those neighborhood feral cats. It's an evergreen tree and I'd say about the bottom three feet of branches were removed. It isn't a large tree, about 8-9 feet tall. Any ideas or should we just let things be as they are? I don't want to cause mom Robin more stress than she's been through already.
House Finch- 2 pairs coming to the feeders
Blue Jays 1 pair coming to feeder, bit do not think they nest here
Chipping Sparrows
Mourning Doves
House Sparrows
Grackles

We've seen other birds, but not sure if they are nesting now or not. Last year we had Brown Thrashers, and Barn Swallows nest on the property along with the above.

About house wrens, we had only a male last year who built his nests in different locations. I know there are some who wish they were not protected because of the damage they do to other birds. A friend gave me a wren house, but I am thinking I will just keep it inside for decoration.
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

Ok... I see what you were trying to tell me about the weather and such. For the nest you can just take a long twist tie and loop it somehow. I'd think that would work. We did that once and it was a little tricky because the males use lots 'o mud building the nest but we managed. Ours had built a nest waaaay up by the crook of 1 of our downspout gutters and we had some pretty high gusts of wind that dislodged it and didn't want any eggs or babies falling out.
--
There are products you can buy that can deter.... not eliminate.... predators. I think they're called baffles... it's been too long... I can't remember what they're called. They're basically metal thingamabobs that attach onto the bases of bird feeders and tree trunks that wrap around prohibiting snakes and some other animals from reaching their "destination" which.... is the robin's nest for you. I can take a photo of 1 of mine if you want but if your husband's handy.... he could make 1 himself for you. Some look like the cones we put around a dog's neck to stop them from licking or chewing on themselves if that makes any sense. Once you get it.... just install it. She's sitting her eggs so she'll fly away while you're putting it up but she'll come back. Just do it on a warm day because she shouldn't be away from those eggs for too long on a cool day.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
Salamander

Sadly the blew out of the tree during a storm last night. This morning we saw a male female pair, one watching the other gather all the mud. There is no way of knowing if it is the same pair.

I've been trying to stay away from nesting birds as much as I would like to see them. I know my presence would cause stress. We've seen them gather materials, but never have witnessed the actual building of the nests. I think that would be so fascinating to see. It amazes me how well and sturdy they build their nests. We have a Chipping sparrow nest from last year in a small tree and with all the exposure to the wind, it's still there!
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
Lungwort

Redtailed hawks dancing in the sky and screaming up a storm, morning doves, cardenals, western scrub jays. Mockingbirds.
Damianita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #8
Salamander

We have cardinals, house sparrows, morning doves chickadees,ect.
GonativeAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
Lungwort

This weekend was gorgeous and I had a chance to just sit and watch to see who's around. These guys appeared in pairs and seem to be nesting:

Song sparrows
Northern cardinal
Tufted titmice
Chickadees (in the bluebird house, of course!)
Starlings (in the yard next door but they're raiding my garden for nesting material and are welcome to it as long as they nest elsewhere!)
Robins

We almost always have a pair of white-breasted nuthatches but I haven't seen them yet.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Ok... I see what you were trying to tell me about the weather and such. For the nest you can just take a long twist tie and loop it somehow. I'd think that would work. We did that once and it was a little tricky because the males use lots 'o mud building the nest but we managed. Ours had built a nest waaaay up by the crook of 1 of our downspout gutters and we had some pretty high gusts of wind that dislodged it and didn't want any eggs or babies falling out.
--
There are products you can buy that can deter.... not eliminate.... predators. I think they're called baffles... it's been too long... I can't remember what they're called. They're basically metal thingamabobs that attach onto the bases of bird feeders and tree trunks that wrap around prohibiting snakes and some other animals from reaching their "destination" which.... is the robin's nest for you. I can take a photo of 1 of mine if you want but if your husband's handy.... he could make 1 himself for you. Some look like the cones we put around a dog's neck to stop them from licking or chewing on themselves if that makes any sense. Once you get it.... just install it. She's sitting her eggs so she'll fly away while you're putting it up but she'll come back. Just do it on a warm day because she shouldn't be away from those eggs for too long on a cool day.
I have a Cooper's Hawk dropping by each day lately. He sits on the lower deck fence and seems in no rush to accomplish anything. I think he is being well fed. I heard a barred owl Friday night but didn't see him. I think he's hunting some of the same by night that the Cooper's is by day - mice. I throw my parrot's old seed out each night before bed and fill it anew. I throw it near a rock wall near the side of the house and I think a fine colony of seed eaters has set up home there, attracting predators in turn. (no cats, though).

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american, bird, birds, black-capped chickadee, blue jay, chipping sparrow, dove, downy woodpecker, finch, frequenting, garden, goldfinch, house, mourning dove, nesting birds, northern flicker, pairs, red-bellied woodpecker, robin, spring, white-breasted nuthatch, woodpecker