Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
I have better shots, but I took this just a few months ago.
That looks like a great shot, fishlkmich! I'd love to see what the other ones look like!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #22
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
...we've got the common pairs... wrens, finches, robins, doves, cardinals, catbirds, red-winged blackbirds, chickadees, crows way out back and 1 not so common pair.... a pair of red-tailed hawks. We'll probably have hummingbirds again this year but we usually don't see evidence of their nests until after the leaves drop.
It sounds like you've got quite a lot of nesting going on. I'd love to have red-winged blackbirds nest here...and the hawks and hummingbirds (among others). I do have bluebirds, chickadees (still building their nest), and robins for sure...and likely cardinals, mourning doves, and others. I'm still waiting for the tree swallows to show up.

I just found the robin's nest the other day. I spotted the nest while the mother was away. The egg photo is not in focus, but I didn't want to go out and disturb the mother again.
Attached Thumbnails
What bird pairs have you seen this spring frequenting your garden?-dsc09332.jpg   What bird pairs have you seen this spring frequenting your garden?-dsc09173.jpg  
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~

Last edited by dapjwy; 04-21-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: adding photo and comment
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #23
Heron

I have Downy woodpecker pairs, bewicks wrens, hairy woodpeckers, northern flickers, chestnut backed chickadees, house and purple finches. The pileated female has brought juveniles to the deck the past three years. There are also a couple of nuthatches but not sure if they are male and female.
Attached Thumbnails
What bird pairs have you seen this spring frequenting your garden?-feeding-pileated.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #24
Great Horned Owl

woodpecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildale View Post
I have Downy woodpecker pairs, bewicks wrens, hairy woodpeckers, northern flickers, chestnut backed chickadees, house and purple finches. The pileated female has brought juveniles to the deck the past three years. There are also a couple of nuthatches but not sure if they are male and female.
Now that is quite an impressive list. To have pileateds coming to your deck must be quite an experience!!! Obviously, by the list, you're a forest dweller.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #25
Heron

I have this pair of crazy carolina wrens that keep getting trapped in my garage at night I think they are trying to nest amongst my clutter. This morning I awoke to what sounded like a wren singing in my kitchen what a great alarm clock!
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #26
Heron

Forgot about the bushtits. The one with the yellow eyes, is a female.
Attached Thumbnails
What bird pairs have you seen this spring frequenting your garden?-bushtits.jpg  
Kildale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #27
Heron

Very nice pics, kildale!
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #28
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I don't know about pairs but we seem to be having a bumper crop of goldfinches this year. I am still feeding so that may be part of it. They are facinating to watch. I think they have at least one nest in a large Eastern Red Cedar in the back corner of the yard. I've watched them, several of them actually, alighting on the tips of the branches and eating something off them, not berries because this particular tree doesn't have any although the one next to it is loaded with them. They aren't flying off with nesting material either. Then they will pop inside the interior of the tree and pop out again. I'll see around half a dozen of them do this, then all of a sudden all fly off together only to return perhaps five minutes later and perform the same ritual. It could be a family, do they flock in summer like they do in winter?

I know they like it here as I'm still feeding, they like both the black oil sunflower seed and the thistle. Here they are on the closest feeder by the back deck, standing room only!
Attached Thumbnails
What bird pairs have you seen this spring frequenting your garden?-goldfinch.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #29
Heron

The orioles are back! And the rose-breasted grosbeaks. The orioles and grosbeaks are singing from the tops of the trees.
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #30
Grub

I just had a singing Baltimore oriole and a (his?) female right outside my back door!
disuhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american, bird, birds, black-capped chickadee, blue jay, chipping sparrow, dove, downy woodpecker, finch, frequenting, garden, goldfinch, house, mourning dove, nesting birds, northern flicker, pairs, red-bellied woodpecker, robin, spring, white-breasted nuthatch, woodpecker