Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
Lungwort

Default Have I put my house up too late?

Hi, all!

Sorry I haven't been too active - having some back troubles again and all I want to do is lay down. Nothing to worry about, though!

A quick question - hubby got our bluebird house up last week in a great spot. Nice open view, but relatively near cover. As far as we can tell, no birds have even looked at it. Did we put it up too late?

I know, I know - patience! Not my strong suit, LOL!

Edit: thanks for the new avatar! I love it!

Last edited by Kitcatclub; 04-09-2012 at 09:03 AM. Reason: New avatar!
Kitcatclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
WG Fundraising Coordinator

We put one up a bit late too, it still has no occupants but that's normal. Couples come back to the same area, even use the same box and it takes a while for them or their young to find new boxes. You may have success with the second brood or you may have to wait another year. We usually get 3 broods a year but up in NY you may only get 2. Keep checking, you never know!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Our boxes have been up for three years, and the (same?) pair has used the same box year after year...but they just built their nest about a week ago...so, maybe you still have a chance for a first brood. If not, like linrose said, maybe you'll get a pair later in the season...or next year. (I hope you don't have to wait that long...I'm getting the feeling that patience isn't your strong suit. I'm sure few people want to wait a year for results.)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Lungwort

Thanks, guys! I hope you're right. Maybe some other bird will use it in the meantime. I wouldn't mind a chickadee or three!
Old 04-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitcatclub View Post
Maybe some other bird will use it in the meantime.
Just not a European house sparrow!

Quote:
I wouldn't mind a chickadee or three!
I was surprised this year to find a chickadee showing interest in the one bluebird house...I thought they'd prefer a more woodsy area. Good luck.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 04-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Lungwort

Check it out! Birdies!
Attached Thumbnails
Have I put my house up too late?-img_3215.jpg  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Check it out! Birdies!
YAY, a chickadee! Congratulations!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
Lungwort

Thanks, Dap! I checked again last night and there are no eggs but the nest takes up half the box! I hope they decide to use it.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks, Dap! I checked again last night and there are no eggs but the nest takes up half the box! I hope they decide to use it.
Sounds good. I've been checking out the nestbox that the chickadee has shown interest in...so far, there is only a little bit of moss on the bottom...I'm starting to wonder if it is an inexperienced pair as someone mentioned before. I'd never thought of that before, I just assumed birds new how to build a nest. Apparently your pair does...I hope mine figure it out!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
Lungwort

Woohoo! Checked this weekend and there are 6 little speckled eggs! Mama blew out of the box like a tornado when I opened it and hubby jumped back, tripped on the dog and landed on his butt. I haven't laughed so hard in weeks!

(Hubby and dog were fine and Mama came back after a little while.)

Tags
bird, bird house, bird nest, birdhouse, birds, blue, bluebird, bluebird eggs, bluebird house, bluebirds, egg, eggs, habitat, house, late, nest, put