Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Birds Including Raptors & Hummers (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/)
-   -   Have I put my house up too late? (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/9967-have-i-put-my-house-up-too-late.html)

Kitcatclub 04-09-2012 09:01 AM

Have I put my house up too late?

Hi, all!

Sorry I haven't been too active - having some back troubles again and all I want to do is lay down. Nothing to worry about, though!

A quick question - hubby got our bluebird house up last week in a great spot. Nice open view, but relatively near cover. As far as we can tell, no birds have even looked at it. Did we put it up too late?

I know, I know - patience! Not my strong suit, LOL!

Edit: thanks for the new avatar! I love it!

linrose 04-09-2012 10:59 AM

We put one up a bit late too, it still has no occupants but that's normal. Couples come back to the same area, even use the same box and it takes a while for them or their young to find new boxes. You may have success with the second brood or you may have to wait another year. We usually get 3 broods a year but up in NY you may only get 2. Keep checking, you never know!

dapjwy 04-09-2012 11:05 AM

Our boxes have been up for three years, and the (same?) pair has used the same box year after year...but they just built their nest about a week ago...so, maybe you still have a chance for a first brood. If not, like linrose said, maybe you'll get a pair later in the season...or next year. (I hope you don't have to wait that long...I'm getting the feeling that patience isn't your strong suit. ;) I'm sure few people want to wait a year for results.)

Kitcatclub 04-10-2012 12:18 PM

Thanks, guys! I hope you're right. Maybe some other bird will use it in the meantime. I wouldn't mind a chickadee or three!

dapjwy 04-10-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitcatclub (Post 108634)
Maybe some other bird will use it in the meantime.

Just not a European house sparrow!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitcatclub (Post 108634)
I wouldn't mind a chickadee or three!

I was surprised this year to find a chickadee showing interest in the one bluebird house...I thought they'd prefer a more woodsy area. Good luck.

Kitcatclub 04-15-2012 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Check it out! Birdies!

dapjwy 04-16-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitcatclub (Post 108895)
Check it out! Birdies!

YAY, a chickadee! Congratulations!

Kitcatclub 04-17-2012 07:55 AM

Thanks, Dap! I checked again last night and there are no eggs but the nest takes up half the box! I hope they decide to use it.

dapjwy 04-17-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitcatclub (Post 109007)
Thanks, Dap! I checked again last night and there are no eggs but the nest takes up half the box! I hope they decide to use it.

Sounds good. I've been checking out the nestbox that the chickadee has shown interest in...so far, there is only a little bit of moss on the bottom...I'm starting to wonder if it is an inexperienced pair as someone mentioned before. I'd never thought of that before, I just assumed birds new how to build a nest. Apparently your pair does...I hope mine figure it out! :)

Kitcatclub 05-08-2012 08:07 AM

Woohoo! Checked this weekend and there are 6 little speckled eggs! Mama blew out of the box like a tornado when I opened it and hubby jumped back, tripped on the dog and landed on his butt. I haven't laughed so hard in weeks!

(Hubby and dog were fine and Mama came back after a little while.)