Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #11
Pope

Wonderful news, Kitcatclub! I am very happy for you. Six eggs! I will be keeping my fingers crossed that all six fledge healthily.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
Lungwort

Thanks, Hedgerowe! Me, too! Here is a shot hubby took of the eggs.
Attached Thumbnails
Have I put my house up too late?-dsc_5797.jpg  
Old 05-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

How wonderful. It is nice that you are documenting the experience and posting them here. I have several diffferent bird species in various stages of nesting here...but I'm doing a lousy job of documenting it. I did better last year.

I took a few pictures but too many were blurred...especially the bluebirds. I should have a picture of "our" chickadee eggs that turned out, but I've yet to post it. Last time I checked I was saddened to see what appeared to be only one of the five or so eggs left. I thought something had taken them...but somehow it occurred to me that they were just covered up more. After probing gently with an old stem of goldenrod, I found that there were more eggs buried under the fluff. ~whew~
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
Lungwort

Thanks, Dap. I'm not good about documenting but hubby thinks he is an amateur journalist and photographs everything!

Does anyone know how long they sit on them before they hatch?
Old 05-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitcatclub View Post
Thanks, Dap. I'm not good about documenting but hubby thinks he is an amateur journalist and photographs everything!
Good for him...and us. We love photos around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitcatclub View Post
Does anyone know how long they sit on them before they hatch?
I'm not sure...and too lazy (I mean busy) to look it up...I'm sure someone will give us an answer. I was just out in the yard and wanted to take a picture of the eggs or hatchlings, but when I looked in the hole, I could see the mother's tail feathers...so I left her alone. I already disturbed her once when I opened the box (this one opens from the top)...and I didn't want to spook her again.

Anyway, it's back out in the yard for me!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 05-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #16
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Incubation period for Black Capped Chickadees is 12-13 days, 12-15 days for Carolina Chickadees.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #17

Thanks, linrose. I knew someone out there would know.

Now, if only I had taken better notes...er, I mean...I only I'd taken some notes. I'm hoping I can figure it out based on pictures. I think she is still incubating; ir not seen a feeding frenzy yet!

Tags
bird, bird house, bird nest, birdhouse, birds, blue, bluebird, bluebird eggs, bluebird house, bluebirds, egg, eggs, habitat, house, late, nest, put