Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
Salamander

Default Support your local coyote pack!!!

If I could raise them and release them legally, I'd have another new hobby.

Studies Show Outdoor Cats Are Popular Prey for Coyotes
Old 03-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
A Bee's Best Friend

We have many coyote in Chicago but they tend not to packs as that would get them noticed and human fears would get them killed.
Cats should not be such a large percentage of the coyotes diet because rodent population regulator is why they are tolerated in urban areas. So keep your cats indoors please and leave the coyotes to hunt down the local rats...

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Heron

People don't realize that coyotes really do a great job of taking care of Rats. Even in Urban settings where the rats invade the Coyotes do double duty, They clean up left-over dog food and garbage that make up a large part of a rat's diet but follow up by killing the Rats. If you own small dogs make sure your yard is fenced. Rats came over from Europe on ships and while they are non-native it's great that coyotes will keep them under control. We should look at the coyote in the same light as the peregrine falcons who control the pigeons.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
If I could raise them and release them legally, I'd have another new hobby.

Studies Show Outdoor Cats Are Popular Prey for Coyotes

Hi Mark, It's good to see you posting again. I've written often on this site about the bountiful supply of coyotes here in Northeastern Mass. Though the HOSPS continue to be a challenge, cats are not. Last year there was a huge black cat preying upon reptiles, birds and small mammals in my yard; he was having a field day! One day I saw him run from me with a very large garter snake hanging from his mouth.

A few nights later, I was awakened by howling coyotes in my back yard and came down and saw them right under my window. They were aroused about something down there that night. Well, I never saw that cat again

I love the howl of the coyote and all it signifies... I wish they preyed on HOSPS

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Salamander

sometimes they mate with dogs and make hybrids. Rare but it happens.

I like coyotes.
GonativeAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
Salamander

Hi Jack!

Wish that I had time to spend here. Sick for a week, but got my bird houses up! Got a good start on HOSP, too. Thought of you this winter. Had a flock of better than a dozen HOSP that took off if I moved in the house. Walked right up to them working in the yard one day. It didn't take long for them to figure out that wasn't a good idea. Just see one now and then lately, but it looks like they will be here in numbers soon.

I may be gone by the time they get here. Just became a member of the Log Home Builders Association. Have to figure out how to quit my job and start building my cabin! I won't ever see a HOSP in the forests of Northwestern Lower Michigan.

Good that the coyote are cleaning up the "hood". If we could come up with a biological control for HOSP I could pay somebody to build my cabin and you would be up to your ears in bluebirds and tree swallows!

I'm lucky to have a county animal control unit that still picks up trapped cats. They know me well. When I sent my neighbor's cat in, she knew where it was. After she paid the $45.00 bail, she asked me to tell her when I trapped it and she would pay me directly. Never saw that cat again.

Mark
Old 03-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
Hi Jack!

Wish that I had time to spend here. Sick for a week, but got my bird houses up! Got a good start on HOSP, too. Thought of you this winter. Had a flock of better than a dozen HOSP that took off if I moved in the house. Walked right up to them working in the yard one day. It didn't take long for them to figure out that wasn't a good idea. Just see one now and then lately, but it looks like they will be here in numbers soon.

I may be gone by the time they get here. Just became a member of the Log Home Builders Association. Have to figure out how to quit my job and start building my cabin! I won't ever see a HOSP in the forests of Northwestern Lower Michigan.

Good that the coyote are cleaning up the "hood". If we could come up with a biological control for HOSP I could pay somebody to build my cabin and you would be up to your ears in bluebirds and tree swallows!

I'm lucky to have a county animal control unit that still picks up trapped cats. They know me well. When I sent my neighbor's cat in, she knew where it was. After she paid the $45.00 bail, she asked me to tell her when I trapped it and she would pay me directly. Never saw that cat again.

Mark
Sounds like that cabin will be ensconced in the woods. You will, of course, still have internet service, and you'll be able to take some good pictures of the country fauna and flora you live with.

Man, that sounds great! I envy you. And, no more HOSPS!!! (That means the local population where you are presently situated will have a burgeoning population of HOSPS). They will be glad to see you go!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
Salamander

Maybe this would be the thing to convince cat owners I know to keep them indoors. We have ferals that run around, but the rescue won't take them. They do the spay/neuter and release.

I cannot say I am a great fan of coyotes. I hear them at night, freak out, then wake my husband, "Were the ducks put away?!?!" He mumbles "yes", falls back asleep and I'm wide-eyed for a couple hours.
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #9
Heron

There are lots of coyotes in my area of rural Mn. But there are way too many stray cats too. I'm always chasing them (cats) out of my yard. I can't imagine why coyotes wouldn't venture into our town since it's not as if we're heavily populated. Or maybe it will happen... it's just that I'm impatient. I also like coyotes.
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #10
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Support your local coyote pack!!!-dsc_5353.jpg
almost time.....
Support your local coyote pack!!!-dsc_5354.jpg
the coyotes hit the ice
Support your local coyote pack!!!-dsc_5355.jpg
in search of a mate

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags