Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #51
Official Plant Nerd

Didja ever get a confirmation?
--
Ya.... I saw that but not at that site. Good find. I definitely worry about this because we've got literally thousands of starlings flying around in formation and roosting nearby. I've got a good vet though so I'd take the chicken in. The photos at that site tell me that avian pox could be confused with a few other diseases so I don't know that I'd start treating any of my birds until the vet told me exactly what was going on.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #52
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Didja ever get a confirmation?
--
Ya.... I saw that but not at that site. Good find. I definitely worry about this because we've got literally thousands of starlings flying around in formation and roosting nearby. I've got a good vet though so I'd take the chicken in. The photos at that site tell me that avian pox could be confused with a few other diseases so I don't know that I'd start treating any of my birds until the vet told me exactly what was going on.

No, sorry to say I never got a confirmation. Of all the 108 HOSP I trapped, that was the only one, though, that had this, and that is certainly a good thing. I would hate to see that pox stuff spreading around here especially with the winter birds due to arrive in the next couple of months.
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #53
Official Plant Nerd

"108 HOSP" You DESERVE a medal for humanely destroying that many HOSPs!!!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #54
Salamander

Quote:
"108 HOSP" You DESERVE a medal for humanely destroying that many HOSPs!!!
Thanks Equil, I think my method has been quickest and the most humane for my use, and I have certainly got the experience...over the past three years I have terminated all together about 350 of the pests. After every spring I have to do a population adjustment because my loving neighbor produces more! (Groan)
Old 11-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #55
Official Plant Nerd

350!!!! You rock!!!
--
The neighbor directly across the street from me has a HOSP hotel. I just look out there sometimes and want to puke it's so loaded with those birds and she does NOTHING about it. We've got a HOSP hotel too.... big difference is that our Martin house is sorta like 'Hotel California'..... you can check out but you can never leave.... he he he he he!!! Ours is on a post that's at the same height as our 2nd floor windows and it's directly in front of a spare bedroom we've got on the 2nd floor so when we put it up in spring.... my husband can sit in a chair and shoot them through the open window!!! I honestly don't know how many he's taken down. We lost count a long time ago. I can tell you that our Martin house has 24 holes and that at least 10 pairs try to take up residence in it every year and he gets them all!!! It's providing some relief for our cavity nesters. It's too late for the screech owls and wood ducks though... they've never come back to the property.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #56
Salamander

Quote:
350!!!! You rock!!!
--
The neighbor directly across the street from me has a HOSP hotel. I just look out there sometimes and want to puke it's so loaded with those birds and she does NOTHING about it. We've got a HOSP hotel too.... big difference is that our Martin house is sorta like 'Hotel California'..... you can check out but you can never leave.... he he he he he!!!

You crack me up, Equil! Good to find a kindred spirit! Your hubby must be a crack shot----mine is too but he doesn't know what bird is which and won't no matter how many times I show him (but he sure knows every projectile-firing implement made since history began) and I can't let him loose unless I happen to be right there to say "Shoot that one!" So that leaves me with my two lovely traps to do tha job!
Old 11-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #57
Official Plant Nerd

Uh huh... my husband is a really good shot but guess what... I am much better too now. I took a few appleseed courses with my girlfriends, Appleseed - Search States. I just can't pull the trigger on anything live yet. I'm working on it. For now.... I'll stick to traps and letting someone else take care of the HOSPs and EUSTs in them.
--
If you can do it.... I'd highly recommend taking at least 1 appleseed course... if not for anything else but the history they provide. You won't regeret it and there's quite a few women there these days. It's a bargain price wise. No way could we even come close to getting that level of instruction any where else for $10!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #58
Salamander

Quote:
... If you can do it.... I'd highly recommend taking at least 1 appleseed course... if not for anything else but the history they provide. You won't regeret it and there's quite a few women there these days. It's a bargain price wise. No way could we even come close to getting that level of instruction any where else for $10!!!
Thanks for the link, Equil, this is the first time I have heard about appleseed, would have never guessed it had anything to do with shooting!
I know my hubby would be thrilled about me getting into it. Didn't realize it could be so affordable. Maybe when I don't have so many irons in the fire, I can learn how to fire an "iron"! Tee hee!
(I still don't know what this one means but I like it anyway!)
Old 11-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #59
WG Staff

Default HOUSE SPARROWS / Part 1

HOUSE SPARROWS / Part 1
The Round Table Conferences
Understanding House Sparrows

Understanding House Sparrows - PMS, NA Round Table Conferences
excerpt from above:
Quote:
"Simply releasing house sparrows somewhere else may result in their invasion of other bluebird habitat. The quickest way to dispatch house sparrows is to wring their necks."
Old 11-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #60
Official Plant Nerd

I can't do that.... I've been taught how but.... I still can't bring myself to do that. I know it's the quickest way with the least amount of stress to the animal but.... I just can't. Oh well.... my husband can!!!
--
scarecrow> repeat.... you won't regret signing up!!! You gotta go and tell me what you think!!! After 2 weekends.... you should be a good enough shot to get em from about 50' away. I kid you not.... the instructors volunteering at these events are that good!!!

Tags
bird, bird house, birdhouse, birds, bluebird house, bluebirds, english, hosp, house, house sparrow, invasive birds, invasive species, managing, sparrow, sparrow spooker, sparrow trap, sparrows, trap, use for raptor rehabilitators