Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #131
Salamander

Well, it appears the 6 inch diameter PVC is not as easy to find as we thought. We'll try one more place today and special order if we have to and replace the boxes we've given to others, even though possibly too late.

Mrs. Bluebird has been more active building a nest in the north Gilbertson. We have an extra Tree Swallow box and replace the Gilbertson after we buy a post this afternoon. I figure the disruption now gives them time to adjust. Do you think we can just put the nest into the new box? It is not very far along, but more than the handful of grasses we saw the other day.

Ellen, I show this to one of my in-house woodworkers and know he can come up with something.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:41 AM   #132
Salamander

I would, personally, never move a nest from one box to another. This almost begs for abandonment. If a purple martin house is rotated 180 degrees during nesting, all compartments are abandoned. In their ways, they apparently use a lot of clues as to the entrance location and orientation. The actual change to the image of where they have been building and the fact that it moved at all would probably cause abandonment.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #133
Salamander

I appreciate your advice, fishlkmich. I can wait. I feel so bad at having a box that is too small.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:06 AM   #134
Salamander

BB,

If they are building in that box, it is a suitable box for this nest according to them. They have other choices and this was the best. It may not be "perfect", but what do we know? You may have had the best bluebird box in the world in that spot and this pair could have rejected it. I have seen this many times. The "best box" that we have come up with, through observation, may not appeal to every bluebird pair. I give them a mix on purpose.

Tags
bird, bird house, birdhouse, birds, bluebird house, bluebirds, english, hosp, house, house sparrow, invasive birds, invasive species, managing, sparrow, sparrow spooker, sparrow trap, sparrows, trap, use for raptor rehabilitators