Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #121
Salamander

Ellen,

I am trying to picture what you did with your upside-down suet feeder. Do you have a photo? What the HOSP do is hover and peck at the suet which drops some to the ground.

I think I can stop worrying about the Kestrel box now. We had Starlings there two days ago, which we scared off. A friend tells me that Starlings are no match for Kestrels, so I shouldn't worry, but I still do. Yesterday morning a male was at it and just a little bit ago was a pair of Kestrels.

We put up a new box further from the road as every time someone drove by, they'd fly off the box. Last year two eggs were laid, but never hatched. We didn't know if it was the haphazard traffic, or depth of box, or what. So now we have a deeper box set further back. If that doesn't work, I have no idea what else to try. Our winter female would perch on it and stay if a car roared by.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:50 PM   #122
Carbon

I used to have a problem with HOSPs mobbing my suet feeder. Even when I covered all sides of the cage, except the bottom, with plastic, the HOSPs would fly up from below and peck at it, as was mentioned in the previous post. A couple years ago I tied some twigs to the top of the cage and hung thin wire from the twigs. Not one HOSP has touched the suet since then.
hawkeyewx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:02 PM   #123
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birding Bunch View Post
Hmm... back to the drawing board. We want to do what is best for the birds, so will see what we can do this season yet. I never heard anything wrong with the size before. That was news. We knew they were too small for Tree Swallows because they are aerial feeders and needed to exercise their wings.
It was news to me too. I just happened to do an image search of that type box to see what it was, then I happened to open a link to that page.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:07 PM   #124
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
My husband said that 6" diameter pvc pipe is not hard to find. I like the design of this, so if we could do the same, just bigger, I'd rather do that.

Oh, at least one native bird does not like HOSP. I wish I got photos of the event. I was watching a female Red-belly and a male Flicker on the big branch that has a hanging suet feeder. I wanted to see how they were interact with each other. They were several feet apart. A male HOSP landed between them, interested in that suet, as well. I was just in the process of thinking how to scare him off without scaring the woodpeckers. (Because the HOSP are so wary of us, sometimes all it takes is a look. ) The Flicker hopped right next to the HOSP and THUNK! gave the little alien a peck on the back and you should have seen that bird flee.
Glad you found a(n apparently) good solution.

Thanks for sharing your story...I love the "sometimes it only takes a look" line, and although I don't want to see any thing suffer, I'm glad the woodpecker got him to move on.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #125
Alternate POM Judge

This is the bottom of my suet feeder. First I put bottle caps in then I put the suet on top. Woodpeckers can reach the suet but HOSP cannot
Attached Thumbnails
Managing English House Sparrows around Bluebirds-image.jpg  
Old 04-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #126
Alternate POM Judge

This is what my suet feeder looks like
Attached Thumbnails
Managing English House Sparrows around Bluebirds-image.jpg  
Old 04-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #127
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Thanks for the photos because I couldn't begin to imagine just how an upside down suit holder looked like. Never saw one built like that before!
Mine's vertical, but I could probably add something to it's front to keep the suit situated towards the back.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:00 PM   #128
Alternate POM Judge

The birds that I want to attract to my suet don't mind eating upsidedown Woodpeckers and nuthatches. Other birds don't like to eat like that so it discourages the Starlings and HOSP.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #129
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
This is the bottom of my suet feeder. First I put bottle caps in then I put the suet on top. Woodpeckers can reach the suet but HOSP cannot
Thank you for the pictures, I just could not picture what you did. That is quite ingenious. I showed this to one of my children and he asked if Downys can get to it?
Old 04-13-2015, 09:00 PM   #130
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Thank you for the pictures, I just could not picture what you did. That is quite ingenious. I showed this to one of my children and he asked if Downys can get to it?
Yes Woodpeckers and nuthatches can reach it. You can adjust it if you need to but my Downies have been coming to the feeder. Now the darn HOSP are eating nyjer seed and picking at what the other birds leave of the grey striped sunflower seeds. They are so persistent.

Tags
bird, bird house, birdhouse, birds, bluebird house, bluebirds, english, hosp, house, house sparrow, invasive birds, invasive species, managing, sparrow, sparrow spooker, sparrow trap, sparrows, trap, use for raptor rehabilitators