Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 09:03 AM   #31
Salamander

I thought that gun control meant that I can hold a gun steady enough to drop a starling at 50 yards!
fishlkmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #32
Salamander

fish, sounds like gun control to me!
Hindsight kicked in last night after I made my last post. My apologies.
NEBogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:11 PM   #33
Official Plant Nerd

"
I thought that gun control meant that I can hold a gun steady enough to drop a starling at 50 yards! " By gosh by golly that is exactly what gun control means in our house.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:23 PM   #34
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
I thought that gun control meant that I can hold a gun steady enough to drop a starling at 50 yards!

I sit on my back porch and pick'em off with a pellet gun,sparrows too,especially when they start messin with my bluebirds,then it's war!!

"Why test on animals when we have pedifiles in prison!!?
rondo769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #35
Unicellular Fungi

Tip toeing in to comment,
Quote:
I sit on my back porch and pick'em off with a pellet gun,sparrows too
English house sparrows is what he is picking off.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #36
Heron

Hopefully they're English House Sparrows. That's the problem. I'm all for killing them, Lorax, you know how I feel about that. Starlings, too. BUT...female english house sparrows look a lot like many native sparrows. That could be an issue, depending on the bird ID skills of the shooter. It's a lot easier to buy a pellet gun and start blasting away than it is to concretely ID birds.

Helllooooooooooo...guns DO kill people. Was JFK killed by a spit-wad, or am I missing some info?

Last edited by Prairiefreak; 03-15-2009 at 05:39 PM. Reason: my own stupidity
Prairiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:52 AM   #37
Grub

Yes they are english house sparrows,and prariefreak,JFK was killed by Lee harvey oswald

Old 03-16-2009, 07:06 AM   #38
Administrator

Default Passer domesticus (English House Sparrow) & Sturnus vulgaris (European Starling)

Now that we've had our history lesson, onward.

Would someone be in a position to share photos of the English House Sparrow and the European Starling?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #39
Salamander

There is really no need for a photo of a european starling. They are the only bird in North America with a long yellow beak that I'm aware of. They can't be confused with any of our common "blackbirds". They are a member of the Myna family and since they are not protected if you have the desire to raise a young one you can do so legally. They can learn to mimic.

The best source that I know of for identifying all life stages of the house sparrow is at:
House Sparrow (HOSP) photographs

I am as active as one can get in reducing the numbers of these non-native birds and advocating the killing of these birds. I also attempt to be very loud in expressing the need to monitor traps (at least every hour or disable them) and to know your target if shooting. I would not personally shoot at what I believed to be a female house sparrow without the aid of a scope or binoculars. Putting up a bird house and allowing non-native species to reproduce in that housing is wrong. Killing native birds in the quest to remove non-native birds is wrong and illegal.
fishlkmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:14 AM   #40
Grub

Actually european starlings only have the yellow beak during the breeding season when there in breeding plumage,the rest of the year there beak is black,gray or brown.
As a kid,i had several as pets and they will mimic any sound,really there are kinda cool birds.I also had a crow as a pet,his name was clem,i raised him from a hatchling and had him for about 10 years

Tags
bird, bird migration, bird species, birds, crane, cranes, discussed, migration, pick, sandhill, sandhill cranes, whooping, whooping cranes