Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
Big Fat juicy WORM

We have a heavy influx of Canadian Geese in the area at the moment. The local mall has retention ponds and they do like to hang out around there. Fun to watch em.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:36 AM   #12
WG Staff

Default Whooping crane deaths alarm wildlife officials

Whooping crane deaths alarm wildlife officials
2009 The Associated Press

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6295441.html
Quote:
AUSTWELL, Texas — Eighteen whooping crane deaths around a South Texas wildlife refuge has made this winter the second-worst for whooper mortality in 20 years.

Another 34 cranes from last year failed to return to the Aransas National Wildlife Refuge and are presumed dead. Federal wildlife officials say a low food supply and malnutrition appear to be factors.

Tom Stehn of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service says one dead juvenile crane had a virus found for the first time in the Aransas flock. The infectious bursal disease had also been found in released cranes in Florida in 2002.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #13
Unicellular Fungi

That bursa only affects juveniles. Juveniles are key to the success of all the work being done out there with that species. This is horrible news.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #14
Fox

There's a lot of interesting information about the Whooping Cranes on the International Crane Foundation website; including some location info:
http://www.savingcranes.org/whooping...updates/4.html
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #15
Salamander

I've seen sandhills, geese and the first spring starlings just north of Lansing, Mi. I sighted in my "adult air rifle" on Saturday. It's starling season!
fishlkmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

"It's starling season!" You and my husband were made for each other. The simple things in life always appeal to the birder in a man. He is all but rubbing his hands together waiting to seed our lawn.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #17
Salamander

The first two robins showed up today, along with a lone red-winged blackbird. I also saw two ducks that appeared to be hooded mergansers. I wonder what will happen this year. The ducks were in the water and the screech owl was in the wood duck house above. I suppose that they will sort it all out.

Two red-tailed hawks are attempting to nest on a building in downtown Lansing this year. The nest is in part of the resident peregrine falcon pair's territory. That should be interesting, as well.
fishlkmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #18
Big Fat juicy WORM

The doves, cardinals, and catbirds are out and about. Had 3 turkey buzzards flying way over head earlier this afternoon. I was so nice.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #19
Unicellular Fungi

Very first robin today. Hopping around out front on frozen ground. I saw one red winged blackbird atop last year's cat tails two days ago. He was there again staking his claim today. Lonely little fella. Sort of like being at a new bar a month before it opens for business. He's going to be hanging out there by his lonely little self for quite a while.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:54 AM   #20
Grub

We've had robins for about a month now,i was going into town yesterday and saw some snow geese out in the field,at first i thought they were domesticated geese but when i looked through my binoculars(which i always carry with me now)i saw they were snow geese,3 white phase and 2 gray.First time in 33yrs. i have seen snow geese in indiana

"Why test on animals when we have pedifiles in prison!!?
rondo769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, bird migration, bird species, birds, crane, cranes, discussed, migration, pick, sandhill, sandhill cranes, whooping, whooping cranes