Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Birds Including Raptors & Hummers (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/)
-   -   Bluebirds nesting 2012 (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/9815-bluebirds-nesting-2012-a.html)

linrose 03-20-2012 07:46 PM

Bluebirds nesting 2012

I thought I'd update the old bluebird thread and report that we have one built nest with one egg! We put up another box away from the woods in hope that the cowbirds don't find it. We have three boxes, one has a nest started but I'm not sure if it is a bluebird nest, the grasses seem coarser than what bluebirds choose. The new box which has only been up a week has some dark downy feathers in it so something has examined it. Looking back at my notes, the timing is about 2 weeks ahead. The insects are out and wildflowers are blooming so hopefully everyone will be fed!

dapjwy 03-20-2012 09:28 PM

Great news, linrose.

The bluebirds have been checking out all three of the boxes I have up...but, I've yet to see a nest.

Does the box with the feathers in it have a nest *under* the feathers? It could be a pair of tree swallows...they literally feather their nests. :)

sprucetree 03-20-2012 11:31 PM

I'm glad they found somewhere to nest, But you'll have to be landlord because as you know bluebirds aren't very aggressive. Cowbirds are native so I don't know how you feel about nature taking it's course. If the weather cools off they may have a hard time finding insects, A few pounds of meal worms might be a nice gesture. Just as I went out the door this afternoon to feed the birds/squirrels I saw a Cooper Hawk carrying a pigeon to a nieghbor's roof from my driveway for it's lunch.

linrose 03-21-2012 07:56 AM

dap - No nest under the feathers, I'll be watching. Hope your pair choose a home soon, it's so pleasurable to watch them!

sprucetree - I monitor the three boxes I have up. I've seen the cowbirds around, I hope the new location is far enough from the wood's edge to keep them from using the box. It's still hot here, plenty of insects to go around and plenty of flowering plants to keep them fed, at least for now. I will get mealworms if we do get another frost although it seems unlikely but you never know.

Cool seeing a Cooper Hawk, we have a resident hawk, not sure if it's a Red-tailed, I've heard it call and see it soaring high up and from far away. I'll have to pay more attention to the sound of it's call next time I hear it.

havalotta 03-21-2012 09:16 AM

So far I have NOT found a decent bluebird house.:(
I want one that does not take a screwdriver to open it for quick viewing.

linrose 03-21-2012 10:12 AM

The last one I bought was from Tractor Supply. I don't like is as much as the ones I got from Lowes a few years ago but they don't carry them anymore. Both have simple latches that rotate 90 degrees to keep the door shut. It hinges at the top front instead of the bottom front so I worry about nest/eggs/nestlings falling out when I open the door. Also you can't inspect for wasp nests on the inside of the roof as easily. Still it's better than having to use a screwdriver to open the box. This new one also is made of rough wood to make it easier for the nestlings to fledge.

havalotta 03-21-2012 01:17 PM

Oooo I'll have to go check. I THINK we have one of those here! Thanks

dapjwy 03-21-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linrose (Post 106987)
dap - No nest under the feathers, I'll be watching. Hope your pair choose a home soon, it's so pleasurable to watch them!

Hmm... Keep us posted if you find out what is interested in that box.

Quote:

Cool seeing a Cooper Hawk, we have a resident hawk, not sure if it's a Red-tailed, I've heard it call and see it soaring high up and from far away. I'll have to pay more attention to the sound of it's call next time I hear it.

I'm not so good with calls. You could always take a picture of it as close as you can zoom, crop it, and hope it is clear enough for an ID.

Quote:

Originally Posted by linrose (Post 107008)
This new one also is made of rough wood to make it easier for the nestlings to fledge.

I had one that seemed too smooth on the inside, so I roughed it up a bit to provide a foothold for them.

dapjwy 03-21-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

dap - ...Hope your pair choose a home soon...

I got distracted while posting the other reply. I wanted to add:

Yes, me too. Also, I'm hoping that some of their young will take up residence here as well. A few weeks ago (during the Great Backyard Birdcount), I spotted 5 bluebirds. I was assuming they were the original pair and three of their young.

It sure would be nice to have two nesting pairs--or more.

havalotta 03-23-2012 11:03 PM

I found and bought a real nice bluebird house with a latch and hinge system at the Wallmart superstore for only $9.00!:)
I then went on to the tractor store and located their model (Just a bit more fancy) It ran $19.00 I passed.
I want to see if I can attract them before I buy more. Do they lay one ..........or more than one batch of eggs per year????