Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #61
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Guess I'll leave it be for the year. I even stuffed a bit of dried grass into its entry hole last week hoping something will notice it as a potential nesting sight. So far, it's a no go.
Sorry you have to wait. Hopefully, you may get a bluebird that is looking for a place for a second brood. Even if you end up with tree swallows or another native cavity nester that might start a bit later, you should be thrilled.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #62
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Not a blue bird but
Bluebirds nesting 2012-dscf4838.jpg
Here's my little fuzz head I was talking about.
Bluebirds nesting 2012-dscf4846.jpg
and her nest.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #63

Quote:
Not a blue bird but

Here's my little fuzz head I was talking about.
and her nest.
Nice!

I bet you aren't complaining having your fuzz head utilizing your nest box.

Is that a perch on the inside of the box?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 05-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #64

Hmmmmm I guess so.
I thought I had taken the photo after I had opened its side door.
That being the case.....If the perch ran through from its front entry it should have been on the left.
Now you have me wondering if there is a perch added to the inside on purpose. I'll have to take a look next time I return.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #65

Quote:
Hmmmmm I guess so.
I thought I had taken the photo after I had opened its side door.
That being the case.....If the perch ran through from its front entry it should have been on the left.
Now you have me wondering if there is a perch added to the inside on purpose. I'll have to take a look next time I return.

I think of bluebird boxes as being without perches--perches encourage other birds to use the box. Bluebirds do not need the perch.

If there is one on the INSIDE, that is kind of interesting as it could, perhaps, help the fledgelings get out. I always scratch up the inside of the box under the hole to make sure they can get a foothold when it is time to leave the nest.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #66

That was the OTHER box (The wren had used last year) on the property.
Not the bluebird house. That one hasn't a perch....

Old 05-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #67
WG Fundraising Coordinator

New update, the box that fledged 4 babies now has 4 new eggs. I was walking up the path to the second box today and noticed some blue feathers on the ground. Uh oh. I checked the box and Mom flew out so I felt a bit relieved. Perhaps is was one of the young ones that perished and so the new brood will be OK. Food is plentiful so I'm not worried.

Mom and her nest.
Attached Thumbnails
Bluebirds nesting 2012-bluebird.jpg   Bluebirds nesting 2012-bluebird-nest.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #68

3 out of 4 eggs hatched this morning! They are so tiny! Mom wasn't pleased with seeing me so I got out in a hurry. I saw the dad too so these babies will get full attention.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
New update, the box that fledged 4 babies now has 4 new eggs...
Wonderful pictures, linrose.

I keep checking the box...no new nest yet. How long did it take your pair to rebuild after the first brood fledged?

Glad to hear that you spotted the dad too.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #70

Bad news on that brood, lost them all to blowflies that were everywhere in May and June. The pair remade a nest in a different box and laid 5 eggs, lost them all to heat when we had temps over 100 degrees for a week. I've been leaving the box alone waiting to see what the parents would do. It appears they have removed two of the eggs and I have seen them visiting the first nest box lately but no new nest yet. It's tough on bluebirds after the first breeding, there are so many perils.

I'm going to remove the last three eggs and perhaps move an already constructed nest in the third box that was never used so the parents don't have to do all the work of reconstructing a new nest, that is if they have another brood this year.

We don't have HOSPs, thank goodness, and we have effective predator guards but there are other problems I have little control over.

Tags
2012, baby birds, bird, bird eggs, bird house, bird nest, birds, blue, blue bird, bluebird house, bluebird nest, bluebirds, brood, chickadee, eggs, hatch, hatchlings, house, nest, nesting, nesting birds, nests, wren