Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #31
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
I have found that every species of bird that I have worked with will allow you to touch them on a nest. I frequently don't look when I count eggs and latch on to a female incubating, instead of what I'm after. I simply apologize and move on. They will let you count the eggs if you want to.
That is amazing...I think I prefer the "Oops! and move on method" too.

I normally try to make noise too, and the bluebirds tend to vacate before I get there...I always scratch at the door before opening it, but have never had one leave at the last minute...nor have I found one sitting on the nest. Maybe checking on the chickadees will be different.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #32
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Two of my daughters were home this weekend for Easter, my middle child and the youngest. My middle child now lives in a city but grew up in the country and when she comes home she loves tromping around in the field. This time she took my camera and went crazy and took about 70 photos. I admit she does have an eye for finding the beauty in everyday objects like a wheelbarrow and the hammock, even the driveway where the pot ghetto resides, and using interesting angles. We went to check the bluebird boxes together and she took this photo of newly hatched bluebirds and one egg that has yet to hatch.
Attached Thumbnails
Bluebirds nesting 2012-bluebird-babies.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Two of my daughters were home this weekend for Easter, my middle child and the youngest. My middle child now lives in a city but grew up in the country and when she comes home she loves tromping around in the field. This time she took my camera and went crazy and took about 70 photos. I admit she does have an eye for finding the beauty in everyday objects like a wheelbarrow and the hammock, even the driveway where the pot ghetto resides, and using interesting angles. We went to check the bluebird boxes together and she took this photo of newly hatched bluebirds and one egg that has yet to hatch.
I'm glad you had a nice visit. Nice picture of the "newborns".

Now you have me wanting to see the wheelbarrow, hammock, and pot ghetto pics!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 04-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #34
Official Plant Nerd

Awwww.... too blasted cute.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #35

I know, right? Especially how that blob of fuzz is using the egg as a pillow!

My fave pics that my daughter took are these. Off topic but you asked dap!
Attached Thumbnails
Bluebirds nesting 2012-hammock.jpg   Bluebirds nesting 2012-bluebirdbox.jpg   Bluebirds nesting 2012-feedersilo.jpg  
Old 04-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #36

Quote:
I know, right? Especially how that blob of fuzz is using the egg as a pillow!
I'm glad you mentioned that...I went back to look. Cute fellow on "the pillow"...I bet it will be more comfortable when the shell is gone and he can use another "blob of fuzz" as a pillow instead.

Quote:
My fave pics that my daughter took are these. Off topic but you asked dap!
You brought it up...so, I say it is still on topic (kind of). Thanks.

The one picture makes me want to go out and lie in the hammock...but it is a bit chilly today (well, relatively...compared to the unusually warm weather we've been having).
Old 04-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #37

I've been gone for the past week without internet and was shocked to see I missed over 400 new posts! I've got a lot to catch up on here. I'm very glad to be home!

The bluebirds are huge now, soon to fledge no doubt. The chickadee is still sitting on 7 tiny eggs, I counted them this morning and she was back this afternoon to tend them.

The carolina wren nest still has 4 eggs, I still can't get a clear photo of them they are so deep in the nest and the wreath it is in is under a portico so it's dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Bluebirds nesting 2012-bluebird-babies.jpg   Bluebirds nesting 2012-chickadee-nest.jpg   Bluebirds nesting 2012-carolina-wren-nest.jpg  
Old 04-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #38

Quote:
I've been gone for the past week without internet and was shocked to see I missed over 400 new posts! I've got a lot to catch up on here. I'm very glad to be home!

The bluebirds are huge now, soon to fledge no doubt. The chickadee is still sitting on 7 tiny eggs, I counted them this morning and she was back this afternoon to tend them.

The carolina wren nest still has 4 eggs, I still can't get a clear photo of them they are so deep in the nest and the wreath it is in is under a portico so it's dark.
Welcome home, linrose. I've been away a little and not posting as much as usual, so, I don't think I could be responsible for more than say 40 of those 400 posts. Maybe even less.

Great photos! Your bluebirds look like they are getting awfully close, I guess no more photos of them as they could fledge prematurely.

It sounds like the birds down by you have been busy and the chickadee seems to have some grandiose plan--is it normal for them to have that many eggs in a clutch!?! How cool that you got a picture of her on the nest.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #39
Salamander

I just checked my martin colony and bluebird trail. The martins are pairing up. Tree swallows are adding feathers to nests, so eggs will be within two weeks. I made three more bluebird boxes available by removing the nests, eggs and one house sparrow from each.

The bluebird box is a new one for me. She put two eggs down and I thought that we just had a short, early clutch. She put down five more a couple of weeks later, so I am hoping that she knows that two eggs are sterile, or aborted and I can remove bad eggs after hatching is finished. It will be interesting to see what stage any developing eggs were at, if there are any. My biggest fear is that she just didn't incubate for two weeks, put down five more eggs and the first two are still viable. Seven bluebirds would be a bit much.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #40

That will be interesting fishlkmich. Keep us posted.

My five bluebirds still haven't fledged, the urine/fecal smell is pretty stong. Hey, those kids need to go Momma! It's pretty cold here for this time of year, maybe they just don't want to leave a cozy nest.

On the other hand seven chickadee babies hatched and are the cutest little wee things you've ever seen! I love being a surrogate bird Mom!

The wren eggs are still unhatched, they may have either been abandoned or the mom was killed. We have an orange cat that roams, she's on my list to trap. The owner could care less.

Tags
2012, baby birds, bird, bird eggs, bird house, bird nest, birds, blue, blue bird, bluebird house, bluebird nest, bluebirds, brood, chickadee, eggs, hatch, hatchlings, house, nest, nesting, nesting birds, nests, wren