Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Here's a pic of the nest. Still no eggs, I don't know what bird made it.
Attached Thumbnails
Bluebirds nesting 2012-nest.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #22
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Here's a pic of the nest. Still no eggs, I don't know what bird made it.
For some reason that looks familar to me. Not sure why or what it is...but it doesn't look like one of the nasties. Keep us posted...I could be wrong.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #23
Salamander

It isn't HOSP. If it had more sphagnum in there, I'd say incomplete chickadee nest. Still could be. Looks like it is being lined with fine animal hair. That would be consistent. Could be a first year pair that is practicing. I've seen some pretty bad nests from amateurs.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
It isn't HOSP. If it had more sphagnum in there, I'd say incomplete chickadee nest. Still could be. Looks like it is being lined with fine animal hair. That would be consistent. Could be a first year pair that is practicing. I've seen some pretty bad nests from amateurs.
Chickadee was what first came to my mind as well...but then I wasn't so sure and just said it looked "familiar".

Interesting...I never thought about amateurs and bad nests. I guess I'll learn more the more I observe.

I saw a chickadee checking out one of my bluebird boxes out in the open...that prompted me to buy another box and place it in a large rhododendron near the house where I've seen the chickadees check out in past years--only to find a small hole in one of the thick trunks...not really a nesting site for them. I'm hoping they find the new house there, that it is not too late, and that they use it successfully.
Attached Thumbnails
Bluebirds nesting 2012-dsc08192-crop.jpg  
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 04-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #25
Salamander

I've heard really good things about Steve Gilbertson's PVC nest box and am thinking about trying one.

Here's a link to buy one:
Home Page

And here's a link to build one:
http://www.nysbs.org/handouts/GilbertsonPVCNestbox.pdf

They are supposed to be very easy to 'open' for viewing. . .
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #26

I checked again and I missed the four eggs that are there, I had look hard to see them they were almost covered by a feather. They are small cream colored with a few reddish brown spots on one end. I don't think I can get a photo of them. I looked at the photos on ths Sialis website and they could be Carolina chickadee or tufted titmouse. I have a Carolina wren nest in the Christmas wreath that also has four eggs, they look very similar only a little smaller.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #27

Congratulations, linrose.

Quote:
I have a Carolina wren nest in the Christmas wreath that also has four eggs, they look very similar only a little smaller.
Now that would make a great photo, I'd bet.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #28

Well it's confirmed, fishlkmich and dap, you were right, it's a Carolina chickadee! I went to check the box today and staring back up at me was a cute little black and white face. I probably freaked her out but she just tilted her hed and looked at me. I try to make noise and lightly tap the box so the mom leaves before I check the nests and the bluebirds always leave but not this little chickadee! I'll leave her be for awhile.

Meanwhile the 5 eggs in the bluebird nest started hatching today. There were three hatchlings and two eggs when I checked this morning. All good so far!

dap - I'd love to get a photo of the wrens but they make such a deep nest I can't get the camera in there to photograph them. Maybe when they're almost ready to fledge and stick their heads out for food. I don't want to frighten Mom off though, those little ones need constant feeding!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #29
Salamander

That's what threw me. Our chickadees need more insulation!

Congrats on your successes!

I have found that every species of bird that I have worked with will allow you to touch them on a nest. I frequently don't look when I count eggs and latch on to a female incubating, instead of what I'm after. I simply apologize and move on. They will let you count the eggs if you want to.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Well it's confirmed, fishlkmich and dap, you were right, it's a Carolina chickadee! I went to check the box today and staring back up at me was a cute little black and white face. I probably freaked her out but she just tilted her hed and looked at me. I try to make noise and lightly tap the box so the mom leaves before I check the nests and the bluebirds always leave but not this little chickadee! I'll leave her be for awhile.

Meanwhile the 5 eggs in the bluebird nest started hatching today. There were three hatchlings and two eggs when I checked this morning. All good so far!
Cool. You'll never guess what I have nesting in one of my boxes now too--well, at least *building* a nest...I've got a chickadee interested in the real estate too! I didn't expect it to want to be that much out in the open. There is that Japanese maple not too far from the entrance hole (but none too close either) and a sycamore a bit away from one side...but I guess that is woodsy enough for her/them. BTW, my Japanese maple seems to be getting ready to leaf out despite the shovel attack I gave the bark earlier this spring. I thought I did a good job of girdling it, but apparently not.

I was surprised to see that the chickadee put moss in on the bottom...I thought they lined the top of it with moss.

I even put a box up inside of a rhododendron near the house--I've seen the chickadees flit in and out of there before...but, I guess she made her choice. There may be two pair around (at least I've seen four chickadees coming to the seeds and nuts I still put out. So, we'll see if that new box gets used.

Oh, and my bluebirds have built a nest...I'll have to see if there are any eggs in it yet.

Isn't it exciting?

Quote:

dap - I'd love to get a photo of the wrens but they make such a deep nest I can't get the camera in there to photograph them. Maybe when they're almost ready to fledge and stick their heads out for food. I don't want to frighten Mom off though, those little ones need constant feeding!
It would be great if you could see the nest, eggs, or nestlings...but even seeing the mother perched on the wreath would likely look pretty cool.

Tags
2012, baby birds, bird, bird eggs, bird house, bird nest, birds, blue, blue bird, bluebird house, bluebird nest, bluebirds, brood, chickadee, eggs, hatch, hatchlings, house, nest, nesting, nesting birds, nests, wren