Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Birds Including Raptors & Hummers (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/)
-   -   Close encounter with injured Red-tailed Hawk (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/9771-close-encounter-injured-red-tailed-hawk.html)

Equilibrium 03-16-2012 10:35 AM

jpdenk> ya.... I'm pretty sure they'd come depending on their assessment of the situation. They are on a shoestring budget though and the cost of gas is gonna do a number on em but... they're the kinda folk who would either hop in their car or get on the phone and start dialing for donuts trying to find someone local who could help if they couldn't.
--
Dappy> It's sorta funny now. It shreiked.... I shreiked.... it shreiked.... I shreiked and then.... we both shut up and stared at each other like, "Now what?" I just wasn't expecting it is all. A hawk.... even a small 1 in a chicken coop when the only way it coulda gotten in was through the chicken door that's like only 14" high by 12" wide>>>? The more I think about this the more I think it swooped into the chicken run and came to rest on the landing then walked in. I don't think it can access that area any more... I added more fishing line. I can see the red-tailed in the dead Elm tree so it's still out and about scoping the chicken run with high hopes.... it just can't find a safe way in with all the fishing line. Same thing for the Coopers hawk which is hangin' out in the dead Norway Maple about 1000' away from the dead Elm. Tee he.... no chicken dinner for you or you or you or the owl that camps out in the Black Cherry that overlooks the chicken door at dusk.

Kitcatclub 03-22-2012 11:19 AM

That's an amazing photo, John! She's just gorgeous!

Sadly, we once found a dead red tail in a side yard - never did figure out how it died. We gave it a nice burial. I got a few shots of it, though, since I'd never seen one close up - the feet are amazing! The claws wouldn't look out of place on a lion and the legs look furry.

jpdenk 03-23-2012 08:52 AM

I know what you mean, the claws are huge. It felt like being confronted with some kind of mythical beast, reminded me of a griffin or a hippogriff. :eyepopping :)

Kitcatclub 03-24-2012 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the shot of the feet - amazing critters!

dapjwy 03-24-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitcatclub (Post 107064)
...the feet are amazing! The claws wouldn't look out of place on a lion and the legs look furry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdenk (Post 107109)
I know what you mean, the claws are huge. It felt like being confronted with some kind of mythical beast, reminded me of a griffin or a hippogriff. :eyepopping :)

I've never seen one close up yet...but your descriptions make me almost feel like I have.

...and, yours, John, made me realize we still haven't seen the finally Harry Potter film...maybe we'll look for it tonight. :)