Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
Co-Administrator

bluebirdhappiness Tree Branch Bluebird House

Tree Branch Bluebird House
designed by Frank A. Zuern

http://www.savingbirds.org/PDFs/BlueBirdHouse.pdf

Quote:
Frank Zuern, the Wisconsin "bluebirder" who designed this style, tested the temperature differential between the Tree Branch box and the traditional "upright" style by placing a calibrated temperature probe inside each. His research revealed that the temperature inside the traditional box climbed fifteen degrees above ambient. Thus, if the mercury rises to 92 degrees, the temperature inside the upright box topped out at 107 degrees. At 106 degrees, the eggs will addle (become unviable) or nestlings will die of heat stress like a dog in a car. But temperature in his Tree Branch Bluebird Box, only rose two degrees above ambient. Thus this style prevents nest failure due to heat stress.
Saving Birds Thru Habitat

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Heron

What a great idea! I'm going to have to try this style of house I never thought the temperature increase inside a bird house was enough to kill the eggs. Maybe they will be less appealing to the house sparrows to.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Ahhhh and there it is.... The better bluebird abode!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I do worry about excessive heat in those houses, especially in our climate. This may be a good solution.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Looks interesting...maybe I should try to make one (although, I'm sure it is a rather simple project, I imagine that I'd be all thumbs trying it.

I have three of the regular style boxes...and the birds have succeeded well with these--but there were a few hot days that I was concerned about them. I'd be interested in seeing if they prefer the new style over the old (of course they may prefer the placement of the original boxes, so it might be hard to be sure).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
Heron

Well here it is well see if the bluebirds like it better.
Tree Branch Bluebird House-bird-house.jpg

Tree Branch Bluebird House-p1030215.jpg

Tree Branch Bluebird House-p1030216.jpg

Tree Branch Bluebird House-p1030221.jpg

Tree Branch Bluebird House-p1030223.jpg
The only down side is the amount of lumber it takes to build. I got 5/8x6x6' cedar pickets Home Dope-o for $1.97 each and can make one of these and one conventional box out of 2 boards so all in all its not to bad. Now to find a spot to put it!
Old 03-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #7

Great job, recurve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
I got 5/8x6x6' cedar pickets Home Dope-o for $1.97 each...
What a good idea...I knew I'd want cedar if I were to attempt to make one, but hadn't thought it would be that cheap to buy--cedar pickets, great idea!

...Oh, and I like (what looks like) your HO train platform in the background.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 03-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
Heron

Thanks Dap I was surprised when I saw the price on those cedar pickets they're pretty knotty and alot are cracked so you gotta pick threw the pile to find a hand full of good ones. But the price is right a 3/4x6x8' cedar board at home depot is around 15 bucks.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Thanks Dap I was surprised when I saw the price on those cedar pickets they're pretty knotty and alot are cracked so you gotta pick threw the pile to find a hand full of good ones. But the price is right a 3/4x6x8' cedar board at home depot is around 15 bucks.
I figured a cedar board would be a good bit more--thanks for doing the research for me. If I decide to go the hand-made route, I'll be sure to pick through the pickets.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
Fox

Wow, nicely done!

I always enjoy seeing projects that other members are working on. Thanks for posting your project.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barn swallows, bird, bird house, bird photos, bird pictures, birdhouse, birds, bluebird, branch, build, design, habitat, house, nest, nesting, project, swallows, tree