Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
Thanks for posting your project.

Speaking of posting...how do you plan to mount it...on a post?

I'd like to see pictures of that as well...if it is not too much trouble.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Speaking of posting...how do you plan to mount it...on a post?

I'd like to see pictures of that as well...if it is not too much trouble.
Yes I will mount it on a post of some kind I'm trying to deiced where though since its supposed to be better at regulating heat inside the box I'm thinking about moving one of my traditional boxes that get full sun but I should have a decision by the weekend. I'll post pics of it's final location.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
Heron

Ready for the open house
Tree Branch Bluebird House-p1030225.jpg

Tree Branch Bluebird House-p1030226.jpg

Tree Branch Bluebird House-p1030227.jpg

Had a male bluebird checking out one of my conventional houses yesterday but was chased off by an EHS GRRRRRR!!!!!
Old 03-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Ready for the open house

There you go!

I'm feeling just a bit lazy and inadequate right now. ~wink~ Luckily, I have three conventional bluebird boxes available to them.

Quote:
Had a male bluebird checking out one of my conventional houses yesterday but was chased off by an EHS GRRRRRR!!!!!
Glad you have bluebirds...so sorry to hear you have the European house sparrows, too.

Have you had success with bluebirds breeding in your yard before?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 03-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
Heron

Well I just cleared Two EHS nests out of my conventional bluebird houses the tree branch box remains untouched. We will have to see if someone moves in preferably a bluebird. Tree swallows haven't arrived yet I wonder where they are?
Old 03-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #16
WG Fundraising Coordinator

You might want to put some flashing at least 30" wide around the post to deter predators. We learned that the hard way. One of our boxes is on a telephone pole that we covered with flashing after we lost some eggs. So far the flashing has worked but it's still not recommended. The other two boxes we have are on metal conduits with wobbling predator baffles. I'm going to move the telephone pole box to a metal pole next year.

Nestboxes Mounted on Trees
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Well I just cleared Two EHS nests out of my conventional bluebird houses the tree branch box remains untouched. We will have to see if someone moves in preferably a bluebird. Tree swallows haven't arrived yet I wonder where they are?
Wouldn't it be cool (although unlikely) if the EHS as a species never had interest in that style of box...and the bluebirds take to it. That would be nice. (Hey, I can dream, can't I?)
Old 04-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #18
Salamander

This is interesting. I have a child who loves to build, so I'd like to see how this does. We've not yet had Bluebirds on the property, but have seen them about a half mile from here near the creek. We have seen Tree Swallows, but I do not think they've nested here. Barns have.
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birding Bunch View Post
This is interesting. I have a child who loves to build, so I'd like to see how this does. We've not yet had Bluebirds on the property, but have seen them about a half mile from here near the creek. We have seen Tree Swallows, but I do not think they've nested here. Barns have.
From what you said in your introduction, it sounds like you have prime bluebird habitat.

I have had bluebirds and tree swallows nest here since putting up boxes three years ago.

I love barn swallows...I'd love to have some nest here, but I've heard that it is hard to start a new colony.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #20
Fox

Thanks recurve, your pictures really fill out the plans for me. I'd build one of these tomorrow if I weren't already planning on building bat houses...
One question; the diagram and directions seem to indicate that the entrance board should be doubled up so that it totals 1.5" thick, yet the cutting diagram doesn't show this. Did I read that right?

Tags
barn swallows, bird, bird house, bird photos, bird pictures, birdhouse, birds, bluebird, branch, build, design, habitat, house, nest, nesting, project, swallows, tree