Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Doug Tallamy is giving a free lecture at Stockton College in Pomona, NJ on March 19th at 7pm. If anyone wants the flyer, I can email it to you. John and I are going, of course.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Doug Tallamy is giving a free lecture at Stockton College in Pomona, NJ on March 19th at 7pm. If anyone wants the flyer, I can email it to you. John and I are going, of course.
March 19th looks like a Monday to me... If it were on the weekend, I might consider going...but not on a school night.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #13
Offical Silphium Abuser

Another thread made me go looking for Sara Stein's legacy online (being ordered to stay home because of a bout of bronchitis has its advantages), and I ran across this article about her project to beautify the sewage pump stations in Vinalhaven, Maine. Berrying the Pump Stations. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any photos posted anywhere.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
Another thread made me go looking for Sara Stein's legacy online (being ordered to stay home because of a bout of bronchitis has its advantages), and I ran across this article about her project to beautify the sewage pump stations in Vinalhaven, Maine. Berrying the Pump Stations. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any photos posted anywhere.
Sorry to hear that you are not well...glad that you are using your time wisely and making the most of it.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 03-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Hedgerow is not a term that has comfortably entered horticultural vocabulary, at least in part because hedgerows are more habitat than ornament, though all the species that form these communities are individually used as ornamentals. They are not hedges which, trimmed or untrimmed, are composed of a single species...
Sounds good to me...I prefer a mix to a single species. Maybe that look (and all the wonderful things it brings) will catch on.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #16
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Really good link Rebek, I lived in Maine for many years and found her plant choices very good, except for the sheep fescue, she might have chosen alpine fescue instead but that's a moot point. I like her explanation of a hedgerow, it makes sense to those who are unfamiliar. The plot plan explains a lot, no photos are really necessary. I'm glad she provided a catalyst for change in that community, her own community, which speaks to all of us to make a change where we live. I'm not an activist by any means but we have a responsiblity don't we?
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
I'm glad she provided a catalyst for change in that community, her own community, which speaks to all of us to make a change where we live. I'm not an activist by any means but we have a responsiblity don't we?
I'd like to believe that creating beauty on our property with native trees, shrubs, wildflowers, etc. will be inspiration for others to follow suit. However, it will be a long time before my property is "inspiration worthy", so what to do in the mean time?

Posting here, seems to have a positive effect on people. Although we are often preaching to the choir, I have to assume there are people who visit the site that are inspired to explore native plants and habitat gardening on their own. You, yourself, said that you found yourself using more natives based on conversations and posts here on WG.

I do agree, though, that we should share our interest with others. If I can learn from some of the concise quotes I've seen posted recently, maybe I can actually plant the seed in others who will know (one reason) why I do what I do...and inspire them to do it for their own pleasure.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #18
Offical Silphium Abuser

I am working with a student/faculty group for our campus's Earth Day event and plan to set up an informational table on native plant gardening.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
I am working with a student/faculty group for our campus's Earth Day event and plan to set up an informational table on native plant gardening.
Great idea. Great job, Rebek.

Tags
birds, giving