Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
WG Staff

bluebirdhappiness Lawrencetown is for the birds

Lawrencetown is for the birds
Published on November 22, 2011
Lawrence Powell
The Annapolis County Spectator

Lawrencetown is for the birds - News - The Spectator
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Lawrencetown is for the birds, literally, thanks to Diana Mullings Ackroyd.

Itís also for the chipmunks, squirrels, butterflies, bees, turtles, toads, and a whole range of other wild critters.

The Annapolis County village has been declared Canadaís first Backyard Habitat Community by the...
Old 02-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Cool that the whole community is involved.

I hate to be negative, but part of me feels that this is way too easy:
Quote:
Mullings Ackroyd says most people are already halfway to certification without doing anything. Cut out the pesticides, plant a few different plants, and something as simple as putting out a saucer with water in it will get most people the rest of the way.
However, this is a good point:

Quote:
She said the habitat program also brings with it a continuing awareness among participants who will no doubt keep wildlife habitat in mind as they continue to improve their properties.
I'm normally more positive...so, I guess I should look on the bright side. I can see this sparking more interest in the community...maybe, as they see what they attract, they'll be inspired to do more and more.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Ohhh.... I see what you mean, "halfway to certification without doing anything". I didn't realize the criteria were so .... kindergartenish. And.... when I was poking around I found how they reduced the percentage of homeowners to 30% to be able to get a town on the books. That's pretty sad. Here's hoping it sparks some interest though and maybe some free pr for any native plant nurseries they've got up their way.

Tags
birds, lawrencetown