Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default License to Kill Golden Eagles

Fish and Wildlife Service Permit Would Allow Wind-Energy Company to Kill Golden Eagles - Yahoo! News

"According to KTVZ, the Interior Department's Fish and Wildlife Service has released a proposal that would give West Butte Wind Power LLC a permit to legally kill golden eagles in central Oregon. The permit is the first of its kind and in this case, West Butte's wind turbines would be able to kill up to three protected golden eagles over a five-year span as long as the company contributes to conservation efforts for the species."

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Can't let those wonderful eagles get in the way of the wind turbines, which will then kill a lot more birds!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Heron

I searched the Federal register for this and it seems the public comment time frame has expired but the permit seems to be just a way for the energy co. to cover their rears from accidental bird strikes. I love how the media likes to embellish the truth. There was a lot of interesting data in the article though.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
Heron

I always wondered why it has be to generate wind power we accept that birds are collateral damage. The current windmill design is basically pre-industrial age designs. If you want to replace a model the best way is to engineer a better model, making the previous design obsolete. Thinking a little bit [yes the smoke coming out of my ears set off the smoke alarm] ...While a vertical axis wind turbine is a little less efficient it costs much less while having a simple design that is not effected by gale force winds. An eagle flying into a Vertical Axis would occur about as often as they fly into trees. If we are just focusing on wind we leave out the potential for solar, If that's applied the transmission lines do double duty. The solar panels do double duty,They disrupt the birds flight pattern and act as a director sending the wind pressure through the wind turbines. Another plus is the ability to use the heat coming off the back of the panels if the structure is enclosed.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
A Bee's Best Friend

Keep thinking sprucetree, I like the way your mind works...

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
Keep thinking sprucetree, I like the way your mind works...
I was thinking the same thing. (That I like how his mind works too--not that I came up with the same idea! )
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

Interior Department's Fish and Wildlife Service has released a proposal”…. Hmmm… it’s kinda obvious any proposals tossed out aren’t exactly under consideration and if we think any public comments woulda been capable of “swaying” their final decision…. we’d be fooling ourselves. They’re waaaay beyond the consideration phase…. by years and…. this WILL go through and this WILL set a precedence opening up the flood gates to all of BigGreen and then some. On the surface the permit looks like a pretty straight forward flagrant abuse of power catering to BigWind at the expense of our birds that’s being sold to us as …. they’re killing birds anyway so why not turn this into a conservation initiative by making them take $$$ responsibility for their “kills’ via a permit to “kill, harass, or disturb” with “strings attached” but…. it’s not. Nothing…. no matter how it’s packaged and billed to us…. ever really happens without our government’s blessings soooo….. look deeper everyone…. they’re only giving us a piece or 2 to the puzzle in that article. There’s more pieces to the puzzle out there for the taking. We just have to “gather” em. Follow the $$$ on this!!! Hint…. start in the Federal Register…. September 11th of the year 2009 then take a close look at the SPEED program. Oh…. if anyone’s interested…. check out who controls West Butte Wind Power LLC and how long they’ve been getting “guidance” from the Feds. There’s a reason why, MORE VIEWING WIND ENERGY AS A SCAM, HARMING THE ENVIRONMENT WHILE PRODUCING NOTHING, MORE VIEWING WIND ENERGY AS A SCAM, HARMING THE ENVIRONMENT WHILE PRODUCING NOTHING - TheCypressTimes
--
sprucetree> I’ve long been a proponent of our government funding and providing grants to advance LittleWind, Controversy Amongst Green Movement. They don’t seem to be all that interested though. Imagine that. The technology doesn’t currently exist to commercialize vertical axis technologies for a profit as in…. they’re a residential and small business power source by design…. hence the term LittleWind and…. advancing LittleWind technologies which… environmentalists have been asking for for years…. doesn’t appear to be in their game plan. Any or our tax dollars rerouted from BigWind to LittleWind would mean putting energy in the hands of little folk like you and me and small businesses. That would result in a reduced dependency on the grid. Supporting Little Wind technologies could drop prices making rooftop turbines more accessible to the general public. I think they like things just the way they are….. energy remains in the hands of BigWind that sells it back to us at a profit all the while enabling BigGov to tax us for our sins of emissions and… they used our tax dollars to hobble us. Same thing for BigSolar v. LittleSolar. I don’t think they want the pricing on residential rooftop solar to come down so the average joe blow could afford it. They’d rather trash our lands with all these farms completely ignoring the millions of rooftops stretching from sea to shining sea.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
WG Staff

Default Interior Looks to Expand Permits for Killing Bald Eagles to Accommodate Wind Energy

Interior Looks to Expand Permits for Killing Bald Eagles to Accommodate Wind Energy
Lachlan Markay
May 9, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Interior Expands Permits for Killing Bald Eagles to Accommodate Wind Energy
excerpt from above:
Quote:
A draft regulation first filed in April would allow businesses to apply for 30-year permits allowing them to kill bald eagles in the course of other legal activities. The length of those permits would be a six-fold increase over the five-year window allowed under current law…
Old 05-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
WG Staff

Default Do You Have a Permit to Kill That Bald Eagle?

Do You Have a Permit to Kill That Bald Eagle?
By Greg Pollowitz
May 10, 2012 10:45 A.M.

Do You Have a Permit to Kill That Bald Eagle? - By Greg Pollowitz - Planet Gore - National Review Online
excerpt from above:
Quote:
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, a division of the Interior Department, is considering loosening regulations on the killing of bald eagles, the national bird of the United States, to accommodate the development of wind energy sources…
Old 05-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium;104063[FONT=Verdana
Same thing for BigSolar v. LittleSolar. I don’t think they want the pricing on residential rooftop solar to come down so the average joe blow could afford it. They’d rather trash our lands with all these farms completely ignoring the millions of rooftops stretching from sea to shining sea. [/FONT]
I don't suppose that the tariff on solar panels that we launched against China this morning will bring down the price of panels anytime soon.

We are adding to these tariffs at a good clip. Didn't we try this back in the 30s and run into a little problem?

Tags
alternatives, bald eagle, eagles, energy, golden, kill, license, solar, wind