Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Before this year we never even noticed the rich variety of ducks practically in our backyard! (please excuse the cormorant which were numerous at Dunkirk Harbor so I just had to get a shot of one!)

We've also had interruptions in Florida plans so are scouring the rivers and lakes here on every suitable photography day. Believe it or not, there is NO SNOW here in Buffalo, though we did see of dusting of the white stuff in Canada yesterday. Strange winter, but ok by me!

~Waterfowl 2012~-p1100659.1.jpg Common Goldeneye

~Waterfowl 2012~-p1100615.1.jpg Immature Double-crested Cormorant

~Waterfowl 2012~-p1100734.1.jpg Horned Grebes
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
These gorgeous creatures are Long-tailed Ducks!
Cool. The third picture reminds me of those paint-by-number paintings! (...but much better!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
WOW I havn't seen one of those in a long time! Stinks being landlocked
I've never seen one before! I guess I don't know my ducks.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #13

Quote:
(please excuse the cormorant which were numerous at Dunkirk Harbor so I just had to get a shot of one!)
What am I missing? I am not familiar with cormorants either...why do you need excused for including one?

I think he looks really cool sitting there...some how it reminds me of a character in a Disney cartoon or something.

Quote:

Believe it or not, there is NO SNOW here in Buffalo, though we did see of dusting of the white stuff in Canada yesterday. Strange winter, but ok by me!
I do believe it! It has been an exceptionally warm and snow free winter so far, and I must admit I'm enjoying that immensely. Hmm...do you think this will be the year I actually get my ideal "only two weeks of snow then spring" winter?!?!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Cool. The third picture reminds me of those paint-by-number paintings! (...but much better!)

I've never seen one before! I guess I don't know my ducks.
The long tailed duck is a sea duck so if your not near the coast or other large body of water you probably won't see one they used to be very scarce I don't know what there status is now. Take a nice drive up the new england coast this winter Dap you'll see all kinds of cool ducks
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
The long tailed duck is a sea duck so if your not near the coast or other large body of water you probably won't see one they used to be very scarce I don't know what there status is now. Take a nice drive up the new england coast this winter Dap you'll see all kinds of cool ducks
I'm landlocked too....but now closer to New England than I was growing up. We do have to go explore more when we have the time and the money. These ducks are only there in the winter?
Old 01-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #16
Heron

Quote:
I'm landlocked too....but now closer to New England than I was growing up. We do have to go explore more when we have the time and the money. These ducks are only there in the winter?
I know I've seen them close to shore during the winter not really sure where they breed and nest but I think they stay farther out during summer.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #17
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
What am I missing? I am not familiar with cormorants either...why do you need excused for including one?
Their colonies have taken over HUGE areas causing dramatic fish decline!

Quote:
The EA considered five alternatives for cormorant damage management in Wisconsin and was developed because of concerns regarding cormorant impacts on vegetation, other colonial waterbirds, commercial aquaculture, private property, recreational fisheries, and risks to human safety.
Midwest Region Refuge System - Migratory Birds : Double-crested Cormorant Management

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #18
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Wow! Since there is some interest here in cormorants, I'll go archive-diving and find a few more!

~Waterfowl 2012~-p1020918.1.jpg

~Waterfowl 2012~-p1020942.1.jpg

~Waterfowl 2012~-p1020949.1.jpg

~Waterfowl 2012~-p1220714.jpg
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Their colonies have taken over HUGE areas causing dramatic fish decline!

Midwest Region Refuge System - Migratory Birds : Double-crested Cormorant Management

Thanks, havalotta.

I did a search to see to see its native range...and came across this link: Double-crested Cormorants

Quote:
Human persecution and pesticide poisoning drove Double-crested cormorants to the brink of extinction. Remarkably, this magnificent native water bird has rebounded and is now repopulating parts of its former range in the United States and Canada. Unfortunately, many people view the return of cormorants as abnormal and claim that cormorant populations are out of control. Nothing could be further from the truth.
I really don't know enough about it and didn't take the time to read deeply into either site...I just thought I'd post this which seems to show a different side of the story.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Wow! Since there is some interest here in cormorants, I'll go archive-diving and find a few more!

Attachment 27977
Great shots, Sage.

The first one reminds me of a cartoon character.

Tags
2012, waterfowl