Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #211
Salamander

Some pics taken by my cousin in Central Texas. I haven't had time to look up the sparrow yet.
Attached Thumbnails
~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-cpr-cameratwo-092.jpg   ~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-indigo-bunting.jpg   ~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-scissortail.jpg   ~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-eastern-kingbird.jpg  
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #212
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrowsdrm View Post
Some pics taken by my cousin in Central Texas. I haven't had time to look up the sparrow yet.
I love the pose of the sparrow...but I must say that the Scissortail.JPG (3 of 4) shot is outstanding. I'm not familiar with that bird (but, coming from Texas, it is possible I'm well out of its range).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #213
Fox

OK, you'll have to take my word for it but this is a Green Heron. It's certainly not my best bird shot but I want to share it because it's an addition to my life list, having never seen one before. I do so love encountering new (to me) species.
The light conditions were less than ideal and the distance was great. While my point-and-shoot is just fine for close work, it's sub-par for zooming. Still, some zoom shots that were not share-worthy gave me enough detail to make a positive ID. I'm happy.
~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-ashby-165.jpg
Old 07-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #214
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
OK, you'll have to take my word for it but this is a Green Heron. It's certainly not my best bird shot but I want to share it because it's an addition to my life list, having never seen one before. I do so love encountering new (to me) species.
The light conditions were less than ideal and the distance was great. While my point-and-shoot is just fine for close work, it's sub-par for zooming. Still, some zoom shots that were not share-worthy gave me enough detail to make a positive ID. I'm happy.
Attachment 31012
It's still a nice shot...and your story adds so much to it.

I've done a lot of zoom shots of birds in the distance (not really that far most of the time, but too far for my naked eyes) just to get an ID. A digital camera with a zoom can be a great tool to have.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #215
WG Fundraising Coordinator

bulu, where did you take that photo? I saw my first green heron on Sanibel Island while visiting Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge. The number of birds in that refuge is astounding! I think Sage visits there regularly. I want to go back soon.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #216
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

cardinal2

~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-p1240140.jpg While on a Peregrine watch at Terrapin Point, this molting male Northern Cardinal stopped in front of us to pose

~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-p1230210.jpg A week earlier, taking a break from a Fledge Watch, sitting on a rock wall along the harbor, watching the gulls along the edge of water

~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-p1230199.jpg but understand, this spot was within close view

~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-p1230192.jpg of an old grain elevator which may also have nesting Peregrines we haven't yet found.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #217
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Yes linrose, I actually lived near there for over 20 years too, JDD one of my favorite places!
But! We also have green herons in the Western NY area too! GrHe are so comical to watch!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #218
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Oh my gosh Sage, why did you ever leave? Sanibel and Captiva are my idea of paradise!

I had no idea green herons lived so far north, do they migrate? They are some of the smallest herons, am I right?

Speaking of comical, that guy in the second photo looks so despondant. But I'm always personifying wildlife, I can't shake it!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #219
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I've seen the greens as far north as Michigan....here.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #220
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrowsdrm View Post
Looks like a Lark sparrow to me and that scissortail so jealous maybe one day I'll get down to that part of the country and see all the cool birds down there
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, avian, bird, photography, pix, post, wild turkey