Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #171
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Jeff needs to wait til March when the iPad 3 Will be out. Roger's is the orig iPad, 8 gb, mine iPad 2, 16 gb with 3G. We found out 2 people on one iPad doesnt work!
I'll let him know. Thanks.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
The most successful boxes were from Lowe's, basic, and cheap.
I went to the Lowe's site...and that is the style that mine are using as well...although I have a hand made one I bought at a yard sale (I think) and the tree swallows used it last year.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #173
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

My bad, equil, it's not what I have, but should I get it for home use? Or just go to a hotel?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #174
Official Plant Nerd

My MIL can't get around well anymore. We bought 1 for her townhome and her car. We'd really rather she stay put if there's some sort of a problem. Who can afford hotels these days just because there's a power outage and.... she'd have to make it through the common areas to get down to the parking garage to get out of her unit to get to a hotel and that'd be tough with no lights. The last thing in the world we need is her falling down an unlit stairwell breaking a hip or something. Her power doesn't go out as much as ours does but she's already used the 1 we put in her car. She sets em outside on her balcony to recharge. I'd say buy 2. One for your car since you and Roger travel a lot and I'm sure you're on the roads after dark and 1 for your condo. I found em cheaper here, Amazon.com: SolaDyne Table Top LED Lantern: Sports & Outdoors and they've got some sort of a free shipping deal too.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #175

Wow, Lib! I just put two in my Amazon cart, and found I had other stuff in the cart as well. Removed most except for an Isoflex thing for my hand. Now it says I just owe 49 cents! If if get their Visa card! Should I?
Old 02-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #176
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Tornado warnings this morning, after the sirens stopped I looked out the window and to my surprise a flock of turkeys were foraging in the backyard. I managed to snap a few photos through the glass, they're not good quality but I was able to get them up close. They were fluffing and preening, and drying out perched on the fence. Those feathers are amazing!
Attached Thumbnails
~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-turkey.jpg   ~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-turkey2.jpg   ~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-turkey3.jpg   ~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-turkey4.jpg   ~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-turkey5.jpg  

linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #177
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Love it when their iridescents shine in the sun. Lucky you to witness their fluffing and preening.

I was at the zoo yesterday when I noticed three HUGE Toms strutting their stuff. I knew what I was in for when they decided to turn MY WAY and boldly kept walking towards me! They ATTACKED ME!!!! Talons flying, wings a flapping. I had more than I wished to handle. I tried making myself look big.... That didn't stop them. I tried moving forward towards them and yelling at them, my arms a flapping. Boy was THAT a mistake. They jumped upon me all the more.

I kept walking fending them off with gentle back kicks as I didn't want to harm them any although I did catch a few spurs or claw hits from behind...No biggie but let me tell you, it wasn't much fun. I was more worried about my eyes than anything so pretty much kept looking forward...I guess it's all a hormonal thing....protecting THEIR territory!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #178

Yikes! Next time carry some corn and throw it in another direction, even in different directions. They will go after the corn, not you!
Old 02-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
I managed to snap a few photos through the glass, they're not good quality but I was able to get them up close. They were fluffing and preening, and drying out perched on the fence. Those feathers are amazing!
TURKEYS!!!

Yay! Glad you not only got to see them, but got a chance to take some pictures--pictures that were well worth sharing. Thanks.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I was at the zoo yesterday when I noticed three HUGE Toms strutting their stuff. I knew what I was in for when they decided to turn MY WAY and boldly kept walking towards me! They ATTACKED ME!!!! Talons flying, wings a flapping. I had more than I wished to handle. I tried making myself look big.... That didn't stop them. I tried moving forward towards them and yelling at them, my arms a flapping. Boy was THAT a mistake. They jumped upon me all the more.

I kept walking fending them off with gentle back kicks as I didn't want to harm them any although I did catch a few spurs or claw hits from behind...No biggie but let me tell you, it wasn't much fun. I was more worried about my eyes than anything so pretty much kept looking forward...I guess it's all a hormonal thing....protecting THEIR territory!
Wow! Crazy.

You could've been on "When Animals Attack!". Glad you are okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Yikes! Next time carry some corn and throw it in another direction, even in different directions. They will go after the corn, not you!
Not a bad idea.

Tags
2012, avian, bird, photography, pix, post, wild turkey