Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #141
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

While doing an image search, I came across this:

Golden Eagle Attacks Cameraman
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #142
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I was hoping someone could tell me!

I have seen bald eagles here before!!! (That still amazes me...I've always thought of them as being in the wilds.)

Funny, my first thought was that it was a turkey vulture, until I got the shots uploaded and cropped them to see the detail.

Thank you, so that is TWO for golden. While I'm waiting for more responses, I guess I'll do some image searches.
I'm going to say young Bald Eagle the wings are very broad I believe goldens are a bit mor slender. there was just a sighting here of a golden and they put up a side by side comparison I'll see if I can dig it up and get back to you. Great shots by the way
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #143
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

If those were the immature in the lower part of your addition I'd say it was the immature bald but after viewing the video,
The Golden also had the white feathers in its most forward parts of the underside of its wings unless they were off on the species ....Hmmmm????

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #144
Heron

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...82825197_n.jpg

See if this helps Dap
Old 02-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #145
Heron

Well that didn't copy and paste like I wanted
Old 02-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
I'm going to say young Bald Eagle the wings are very broad I believe goldens are a bit mor slender. there was just a sighting here of a golden and they put up a side by side comparison I'll see if I can dig it up and get back to you. Great shots by the way
Thank you.

I am leaning toward immature bald eagle too...thanks to Havalotta and the search I did of a side by side comparison (not very clear shots). If you uncover the one you are looking for, please post it here.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
If those were the immature in the lower part of your addition I'd say it was the immature bald but after viewing the video,
The Golden also had the white feathers in its most forward parts of the underside of its wings unless they were off on the species ....Hmmmm????
Quote:
That did help...I agree that the wings do look broader on my photo and the immature bald eagle from your link.

I'm still not 100% sure...but I'm still excited to have seen it and to get some shots of it!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #148
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

bald eagle

From All About Birds To compare with your shots, dap

~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-golden-eagle-identification-all-about-birds-cornell-lab-ornithology-google-chrome-21320.jpg
(L) juvie GoEa (R) juvie BaEa
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #149
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Well that didn't copy and paste like I wanted
You must first blow up a photo, THEN paste it or you will get tiny images as such.

I'd say it's an immature bald. The wings are pretty broad and there's a lot more mottling in the lesser wing coverts than a Goldens.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I'd say it's an immature bald. The wings are pretty broad and there's a lot more mottling in the lesser wing coverts than a Goldens.
Yes, I pulled out my Peterson's Guide today, and it definitely looks like an immature bald eagle. Funny that I spent so much time yesterday looking at blurry internet images while I had a good, old-fashioned book just a few feet away.

Tags
2012, avian, bird, photography, pix, post, wild turkey