Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 07:15 PM   #111
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Well I went back to Barren River Lake this afternoon to try to see the sandhill cranes, this is the only crane I saw.
~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-crane.jpg

At least I did get this nice sunset photo at a farm near the lake, we just happened to turn around in their driveway. All in all it was a nice drive, but I really want to see those cranes!!!
~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-sunset.jpg
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #112
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Sage
Quote:
I'd rather see a good photo, than one I get an urge to edit!
Hear hear!
Quote:
I have no idea why, but other WG photo contests are not judged by me and usually don't allow post-editing.]
Dapjwy
Quote:
I thought there was something about that in the earlier rules--even there, I thought *minor* changes were allowed...but I might be confusing that with your rules.
Just presenting the facts for those that were wondering that's all. Not questioning anything at all from this end...

Linrose you made my DAY!!! You rock! Best crane capture evah.....I laughed so out loud when I saw it!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #113
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Default ~Belted Kingfisher~

~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-p1120001.jpg Fishing in the canal
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #114
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
~Belted Kingfisher~
One of my favorites. I always enjoy seeing them--which hasn't been too often. I remember walking out in the country, stopping at a bridge, and spotting one as it dove and returned to its perch. For some reason they fascinate me.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #115

Yes, they seem to have such personality!
Old 02-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #116
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Yes, they seem to have such personality!
Maybe that is it.

Spunk.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #117

The red-bellied woodpecker was back as usual this rainy morning. He's been so elusive and shy. I decided to try my luck taking the photo through glass so as not to frighten him away. The pictures are a little blurry but he's looking good if a bit damp.
Attached Thumbnails
~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-redbellied-b.jpg   ~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-redbellied2-b.jpg  
Old 02-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #118

Beautiful captures, linrose! They show how the woodpeckers brace themselves against the tree with their tail.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #119
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

A kingfisher's easily identified by its cry....eNature: FieldGuides: Species Detail

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #120

OK, it's friggin freezing down here now and the birds are really flocking and coming to the feeders. Snow??? Whazzat??? Well we've got some falling from the sky, not sticking but whazzup with temps in the teens and 20s??? Too used to 50s and 60s this winter folks!!!

There were so many goldfinches this morning it looked like Hitchcock's "The Birds" - dozens, maybe more I couldn't count. They were in all the trees and at the feeders of course. The thistle feeder was drained in no time. I tried to capture the madness but only a video could do so. Instead I have a few snaps of cardinals, not from today but from a few days ago.

They really are ready for their close-up, so photogenic! And with lots of attitude, I think. I'm glad they like it here. It seems like the males stick together in winter and the females have their own little gang, until spring that is.
Attached Thumbnails
~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-cardinal-2.jpg   ~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-cardinal-6.jpg   ~Avian Photography~ Post your bird pix for 2012!-cardinal-7.jpg  

Tags
2012, avian, bird, photography, pix, post, wild turkey