Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #101
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

When I said "someone" might make a tutorial, havalotta was exactly who I had in mind! Thanks, hava!

One program has a "dodge tool" that should be able to darken the over exposed area around the face and breast...but I'm not sure if it will do exactly what I think it will.

Anyway, I love the shot--over exposed or not!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #102
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

You're welcome, dap!

With studio photography, you are in control of the lighting conditions. Much outdoor photography however will greatly benefit from post-editing in addition to cropping, because you are at the mercy of shooting conditions including shade, wind, and moving subjects. Most outside photo contests also allow post-editing. I'd rather see a good photo, than one I get an urge to edit!

Reminder: I have no idea why, but other WG photo contests are not judged by me and usually don't allow post-editing.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Reminder: I have no idea why, but other WG photo contests are not judged by me and usually don't allow post-editing.
I thought there was something about that in the earlier rules--even there, I thought *minor* changes were allowed...but I might be confusing that with your rules.

I assume they were trying to avoid over-used (cooked...as you say) photos...or combining two (or more images)--like the photo where I added a different view of the same tufted titmouse (I posted that in the "cooked" thread, not in a P.O.M.)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #104

Yes, they may have not wanted "altered" photos. I pestered them for allowing *some* editing. I think everyone who uses digital cameras should have at least one editing program, a free one is good.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Yes, they may have not wanted "altered" photos. I pestered them for allowing *some* editing. I think everyone who uses digital cameras should have at least one editing program, a free one is good.
I agree.

I'm glad you pestered them.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #106
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
LOL! Funny. At least with your kids, hopefully you have some cooperation--not so much with wildlife!
Cooperation with children Now thats FUNNY!!!!!!
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #107
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Recurve
I don't know what programs you have but I use what's called Paint, a free and very basic editing program..... You might like to install it and give it a try. It's real EASY! Sage uses one called Piccasa which seems more advanced just looking at what she's capable of doing with her photos.
I'm about ready to advance into that one to give it a try.
Attachment 28180
This is how to adjust them....Using PAINT.
If you're pulling a photo from W.G.
Shrink W.G.'s page to half size
Click onto the photo to enlarge it
Drag it onto the desktop
(You needn't do any of the above if you already have a photo saved in a folder in your computer, just go direct)
Click onto the photo to enlarge it
hit the fix button on the top of the screen
then the adjust your exposure to the right of the screen
slide the brightness button a bit to the left
the contrast button some to the right
then the close button at the top of the screen and it's *saved automatically* as tweaked!

If you want to keep the original as well, just make a copy of it
Right click upon the photo then left click copy
another right click upon the screen then left click paste should produce the double....
and then tweak that one!

Anytime you are in doubt or want to learn something....Ask the gang.
They were MORE than helpful teaching me. I knew nothing about computers nor the new digital camera, any of its options, saving, tweaking, putting images onto the site....yada yada yada
Thanks Hava I'll have to check those out. They have a nature photography course at the school I'm going to I want to take but I'm focusing on my major right now hopefully I'll get a light quarter soon.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Cooperation with children Now thats FUNNY!!!!!!
LOL!

I think I said "more cooperation THAN with wildlife". ....But you'll probably ROTFL(your)AO over that too.

Thanks for making me laugh.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:35 AM   #109
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Wildlife Gardeners’ editing rules:
Quote:
Altered Images—Photographs manipulated for artistic purposes by applying digital and/or traditional special effects (i.e. hand coloring, toning, bleaching, collage and photo composites, etc.) will be disqualified.

Minor alterations such as cropping, rotating, and resizing will be permitted.
Adding or replacing elements in an image will not be permitted.

Quote:
FW, where does WG stand on basics like enhancing contrast as much outdoor photography is done in poor lighting conditions.
Did the basic enhancement help reflect the subject matter as it originally appeared? Yes or no?

What we need to avoid is crossing that line by allowing any images that would otherwise be unattainable without digital manipulation. This is a photo contest not an art contest. We don’t want to end up in a position where we are forced to define art. All members are on their honor to submit what they believe represents what was really there. We’re keeping it simple to rely on everyone’s integrity and for the sanity of the judges.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #110

hava, while I'm doing the POM, I don't care if they're edited. It's not so easy to tell, and I've already gotten called on announcing a winner once that turned out to be a photo not taken in the month of the contest, so that is all I'm concerned with. Present a great photo and you might win, even if you tweaked the exposure. OK?

Tags
2012, avian, bird, photography, pix, post, wild turkey