Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

"It's my belief that the driving force of migration is food" me too. I believe this too, "So they go where the food is, and that's not always south." So true, especially in some areas around here where the behavior to move to a corporate pond is learned!!! I really need to get my camera back... there's a manmade pond not that far from me where they're blanketing the ground waiting for employee hand outs and… beware if you approach without offerings for these geese gods!!! I dunno Bulu's town... maybe that was a freak of nature freezing and those waters are generally ice free over the course of winter....I "assumed" being he was in MA and with the ice in his photos... that his climate was more similar to mine where.... we rarely see any unfrozen water anywhere over winter unless it’s in a birdbath with a heat wand in it. "So when you say they should be far far away, that's not true for everywhere that's experiencing winter." So true... not everywhere out east will experience the same winters we have. The most logical explanation... to me.... for his birds being photographed "hanging" on ice at a reservoir just shut down to the public would be that someone's been feeding them. BTW....about the ONLY 2 species of waterfowl we can get close to around here are ducks and geese that…. have been acclimated to human presence.
--
"I could go on and on about how we've created the monster that is the Canada goose overpopulation problem... but I'll save it." Don't save it!!! We get boil orders around here on an off during summer and we send out entire crews that do nothing but oil their eggs.... I've spent untold hours zig zagging monofilament line trying to deter them from obliterating newly planted shoreline vegetation. Aquatic native plant plugs get expensive when the geese tear into em in numbers too big to ignore. Paleeease.... don't keep what you've got to say about the monster we created pent up! I'd love to know what's going on out your way. Misery loves company!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #12
Fox

OK, clear up time. Those geese and mallards were photographed in the spring on the beaver bog at my buddy's farm in northern MA. I posted the pictures with the question after noticing them in my "Waterfowl" folder while looking for the picture that I eventually used for my closed reservoir posting.
That beaver bog most definitely does ice over in winter. There are at least ten to fifteen acres of bog over there, about half open and half with extensive standing timber in and around it. I know that both geese and mallards nest in there and I assume that those were two breeding pairs who have nested there in the past. They've returned and are sharing the only open water until they can get down to business. I also know, with a high degree of certainty, that these birds do not receive handouts. There is almost no foot traffic on the road and the land is posted. My friends farmhouse is right across the street and there is always someone there. Now, later in the year there will sometimes be large flocks in his pasture, which leads to some interesting juxtapositions, but those geese do not approach humans at all. I have seen flocks of up to a dozen birds foraging in the bogs, but these birds are all shy and immediately start to move away when people approach.
Geese & Mallards-flock-016.jpgGeese & Mallards-flock-027.jpgGeese & Mallards-may-29-084a.jpg
Old 12-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

[
--
"I could go on and on about how we've created the monster that is the Canada goose overpopulation problem... but I'll save it." Don't save it!!! We get boil orders around here on an off during summer and we send out entire crews that do nothing but oil their eggs.... I've spent untold hours zig zagging monofilament line trying to deter them from obliterating newly planted shoreline vegetation. Aquatic native plant plugs get expensive when the geese tear into em in numbers too big to ignore. Paleeease.... don't keep what you've got to say about the monster we created pent up! I'd love to know what's going on out your way. Misery loves company!!!
[/QUOTE]

So, are Canada geese tasty? It seems like we have a lot of starving folks in the world, and an overpopulation of what would appear to me to be fat, juicy game birds. Yet I have not seen that as a solution to the issue. Are they really gross tasting or what?

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #14
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
So, are Canada geese tasty? It seems like we have a lot of starving folks in the world, and an overpopulation of what would appear to me to be fat, juicy game birds. Yet I have not seen that as a solution to the issue. Are they really gross tasting or what?
They really are good eating, except perhaps if you get a very elderly one. I would much rather eat one of these than a domestic goose - much less fat to deal with, for one thing...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #15
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Free-range birds are definitely more flavorful. If you're a dark meat lover, they're very tasty indeed.....Much like duck.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #16
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Just organizing photos between roasting outdoors removing sod and ran into this one....Boy oh boy does this one bring back the memories....
Geese & Mallards-dscf8705.jpg
Reason being, I was TRYING SO HARD to catch a goose dribbling water from its bill to insert into last years water contest Sage had held...
This was the closest capture of a moment as such but It was not clear enough to enter.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, birds, duck, ducks, fowl, geese, goose, mallard, mallards, water, water fowl, wild birds