Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default Starling Murmuration (video)

Murmuration on Vimeo

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Very cool. ...and it looks like it was from the UK, so that is where the starlings belong.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Ugh.... is this like payback for me making your blood pressure rise with some of my links>>>? I see this "murmuration" daily.... over my property. It doesn't bother me when I see it in Europe but.... here.... in the US when I see it... I want to scream. I really need to get on the Village. We need a permit for a starlicide as in yesterday and the're dragging their heels.

adding something... more "murmuration" videos, http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...1z&oq=murmurat
Attached Thumbnails
Starling Murmuration (video)-img_7061.jpg  

Last edited by Equilibrium; 11-16-2011 at 01:22 PM. Reason: adding link
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Ugh.... is this like payback for me making your blood pressure rise with some of my links>>>? I see this "murmuration" daily.... over my property. It doesn't bother me when I see it in Europe but.... here.... in the US when I see it... I want to scream. I really need to get on the Village. We need a permit for a starlicide as in yesterday and the're dragging their heels.

adding something... more "murmuration" videos, http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=murmuration+of+starlings&aq=1 z&oq=murmurat

When I first moved to this town about 23 years ago, starlings abounded. Then the Mass Audubon got together with the local town farmer and devised a plan to arrest the propagation of starlings and seagulls, which were way out of proportion to regular numbers seen, even along the coast line. Since then, each year brings decilinging numbers of starlings, so that even seeing a small flock is rare, now. I'm not sure exactly what the farmer changed in this techniques, but it was effective. Indeed, I can say that starling are relatively rare now in this town.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Since I'm not a farmer/gardener, I see these awesome displays for their natural beauty!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

It must be totally awesome viewing such a free flowing sighting as that! (Nice smilie Sage)
We DO need to come up with some sort of control to lessen their ever increasing numbers!
Quote:
When I first moved to this town about 23 years ago, starlings abounded. The Mass Audubon got together with the local town farmer and devised a plan to arrest the propagation of starlings and seagulls. Since then, each year brings decilinging numbers of starlings,
Any way of contacting them to see just exactly what methods they had used to get them under control?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

A coupla years ago I took a few photos and suggested something be done to provide relief for residents when I saw them picking a few farmers’ fields clean of seed. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not…. their presence negatively impacts our food supplies. There was only 1 flock of maybe 5,000 back then. Hind sight’s 20/20…. I said very little….. I shoulda said more but…. back then the only problem I was having with them is they kept nesting in my dryer vent and picking us clean of seed…. I never dreamed my property would become a roost site for thousands of them what we me removing buckthorn all the time. What’s happening to me goes well beyond having a thousand or so of them stopping in to scope out what native grass seed I’ve been broadcasting. The feces alone from thousands of these feathered rats is the “stuff” of nightmares once you factor in things like oh…. the uric acid that’s corrosive to things like the brick siding on my house and my metal gutters but… histoplasmosis and e-coli become a very real threat not to mention the immediate impact of being “chosen” as a roost site… as in…. they started wiping me out of hundreds of $$$ of chicken feed. I thought it was a raccoon until a few Mondays ago when I was home during the day I saw thousands of them descend on my chicken run landing on the roof of the coop and the fruit trees and the ground and my make-shift kiddie pool feeder lid… I saw how they toppled the kiddie pool lid and the feeder spilling the feed and I saw the others in the trees descend like a bunch of locusts. I’ve stopped the feed thievery by moving the feeder inside the coop but…. what do folk do who don’t have coops that can accommodate an inside feeder ? What about the diseases these birds carry? I feel for them since starlings do carry diseases that are not only communicable to humans… but to poultry which means… vet bills or suffer the loss of livestock. All these years I was pretty quiet until…. my oxen started getting gored and… I know the Village is counting on ignoring me so the issue goes away for them….just like it went away when they ignored all the others asking for help who came before me. I can’t let it get shoved under their townhall carpet this time…. I can honestly say I’ve considered trapping and destroying a hundred or so myself then piling their dead bodies up in a wheelbarrow and wheeling it up before them to get my point across after passing out photos of brick layers on scaffolding cleaning the brick work on the north side of my house. This is serious… there’s way more than just 10,000 where I live because… they did nothing for so many years. I know most of the Village board doesn’t want to “get it” because… it’ll mean they’ll have to cough up $$$ dealing with the “flocks” and I’ve been around long enough that I’ve heard how some of them “love” feeding them at their feeders and well….there’s this little issue of none of their properties being used as a roost site so it’s not like any of them had to get quotes and pay to clean up their brick work and gutters. So far the focus has always been on property damage.… I don’t know if residents are making the connection that these birds are a very real threat to our health. This is a point that needs to be driven home because….by repeatedly ignoring what’s happening… the board's become directly responsible for the breeding that's resulted in even more flocks.
--
Sage> “Since I'm not a farmer/gardener” but…. you’re my friend here so… don’t be hiding on me. Our bill for the clean up was over 2k and that’s the least of our worries what with these birds choosing our property as a roost site. Another coupla years of them roosting here and the buildup of feces, feathers, and dead birds under where they're roosting will look like underpasses where pigeons roost in B rated horror flick but by then…. the starlings will have polluted my property to the extent that even they won’t want to roost here anymore so this flock will move onto somebody else’s property. That's how it works. This really needs to be nipped in the bud before the 3 or 4 flocks of thousands turn into 6 or 8. What do you think I could say to the board that might help them “get it” so I can avoid a wheelbarrow visual… that’s soooo not me pulling a shot like that in a public setting. Does anyone have any suggestions>>>?
--
hava> “It must be totally awesome viewing such a free flowing sighting as that!” I keep telling you to drive down by me…. you could see that up close and personal from the comfort of my family room…. it’s playing in my home theater every night before dusk. Seriously…. these murmurations…. while they may be an awesome display throughout Europe where their numbers have been declining…. are anything but natural or beautiful when they occur on our continent.

Tags
murmuration, starling, video