Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
Salamander

Default Bird ID...orioles?

I've heard that orioles can feed at hummingbird feeders and these birds are hanging around one and feed from it. Does anyone have an ID on them?
Attached Thumbnails
Bird ID...orioles?-oriole-q.jpg   Bird ID...orioles?-oriole-2a.jpg  
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
Salamander

Yes, those look like Baltimore Orioles, an adult male and possibly an adult female (not sure.) I believe they are migrating this time of year.
I have five of these lovely birds at my hummingbird feeders giving the hummers fits. They like apples and oranges, too.
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Salamander

Thank you! It's so nice to see these pretty birds that we don't usually see! It must be hard for the migrating birds to find enough food and water (and nectar, in this case) on their way though Texas. This drought and the fires are doing a lot of damage.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I can see that scarecrowsdrm has already answered...*and* mentioned that oranges attract them as well...so I don't have much to add...but I had to say that the first photo looks like it could be published in a bird book. EXCELLENT clarity and a beautiful shot...perhaps you could enter it in the photo of the month contest.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
Thank you! It's so nice to see these pretty birds that we don't usually see! It must be hard for the migrating birds to find enough food and water (and nectar, in this case) on their way though Texas. This drought and the fires are doing a lot of damage.
I agree with Dap, that is a wonderful photo; my visitors are too shy.
I have to look and see where you are located. I live in Grimes County, and there have been fires popping out all over in the past few weeks, plus a really big one south of us involving three counties. It is a vast tragedy for people and wildlife.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
Rock Star

Boy do I wish I could send some of this rain to Texas from NJ.
More rain and flooding this week after Irene.
I've been seeing the reports on the wildfires on the news, I hope both of you are safe in Texas.

The photos of the Orioles are wonderful ButterflyLinda.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #7
Salamander

Yes, and we'd love to get that rain, too! Feast and famine. So far (crossing my fingers), no wildfires very close...there are some in the next county (San Antonio area) just east of us. It really is terrible! Thanks, I'm glad you liked the pics...just got lucky...they were so hungry that day! The orioles left already...probably migrating south.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

My husband says to tell you to put out grape jelly!!! Not too close to your house though. They're whores for grape jelly. Any kind.... name brand or generic.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
Salamander

Thanks for the info...I'll look later to see what I have as far as jelly. I had just looked out the window a bit ago...and lo and behold, there was another one out there on the hummingbird feeder! I put out an orange to go with the nectar in the feeder!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
Thanks for the info...I'll look later to see what I have as far as jelly. I had just looked out the window a bit ago...and lo and behold, there was another one out there on the hummingbird feeder! I put out an orange to go with the nectar in the feeder!
I have 6 to 8 orioles at my house, now. I am serving them grape jelly in the half of a grapefruit shell from my breakfast (an online suggestion). Works really well; no cleanup and you can pop the used "cup" in the composter afterwards. The hummingbirds are ready for the orioles to leave as they are hogs at the feeders, so at least the oranges and jelly treats take them away periodically. I read that they like grapefruit as well; I haven't tried that yet, but it makes sense since it is citrus too. I have unusually high numbers of birds around my house now, desperate from the drought. Usually they start "vanishing" this time of year because the Coopers hawks move in.

Tags
apples, baltimore, baltimore oriole, bird, bird feeders, bird id, bird identification, birds, citrus, fedders bird, feeder, feeding birds, grapfruit, hummingbird, identify, idorioles, jelly, oranges, orioles