Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Rock Star

Default I saw a hummingbird

I walked into the garden, actually driveway, this morning and came face to face with a hummingbird. Scared it away by my unexpected presence in the light drizzle but I am sure it'll be back. I was quite pleased since just yesterday my neighbor, who has 4 feeders, was lamenting the fact he only got 1 this year.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
WG Facebook Administrator

Cool! I wonder whether they tend to come back to places more frequently in future where they find congenial habitat. I saw one last year and three so far this year (well, three separate occasions).
Old 09-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I had far fewer this year than in the past. We only had one male early in the season but now there are probably a half dozen or so. I know there are at least three, two males and a female that are fighting over the one feeder I have up now. Usually I have two or three feeders when the competition gets tough and the population grows. I'm much further south than both of you so that might make a difference, have you seen many more in past years?
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

They're still using the feeder Lorax gave me.....((((()))))

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
Rock Star

linrose, One is usually all I get but I've seen that one earlier and more often in past years.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
Salamander

I'm getting the hummer migrators lately. It seems like there are more of them and they hang around longer this year. Might have something to do with the disastrous state most of Texas is in. I've gone to some trouble trying to get my yard ready for migrating wildlife, in spite of the Stage 3 water restriction rules. So I'm having fun watching the hummers! Not sure which kind of hummer this is, but it's cute...well, they all are!
Attached Thumbnails
I saw a hummingbird-hummingbird-5a.jpg  
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

I haven't had any buzzing through so seeing yours is nice. I put feeders up in the spring when I'm chomping at the bit to get going in my yard but it's more important doing it in the fall even though were tired and worn down. I know I should try to find my feeders and get em up real quick before I feel guilt. I've heard there's a few coming through from friends who keep feeders up all summer.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
WG Fundraising Coordinator

We still have many hummers here, I see the females a lot. They are just as aggressive as the males! They are coming to the feeder regularly. I do watch later in the season to monitor their migration. As long as there is food here and the weather doesn't go terribly bad for them I won't worry about them lingering.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
Offical Silphium Abuser

I don't do feeders anymore. We get quite a few hummers at our salvia and agastache, which I always assumed would quit blooming by the time the birds need to migrate. Am I wrong?
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
Salamander

I don't know...my salvias still have some blooms, but I'm in Texas. I didn't expect any hummingbirds to show up again almost a month after the migrating ones first disappeared, but it happened. Go figure...but it's great to see them, in any case!
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agastache, bird, bird feeder, birds, feeder, feeders, feeding birds, females, hummers, hummingbird, hummingbird feeder, males, migration, salvia, weather