Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
Mentor

Default Owls for Education

These are owls used for education at the World Bird Sanctuary just outside of St. Louis, MO. There is also a snowy owl and some owls from other countries (not shown). They do an owl prowl where a great horned owl swoops overhead so close you can feel him buzz by the top of your head, really worth stopping in at if you're ever in the area.
Attached Thumbnails
Owls for Education-barnowl.jpg   Owls for Education-screechowl.jpg   Owls for Education-greathornedowl.jpg  
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
Mentor

Default one more

short ear owl
Attached Thumbnails
Owls for Education-shortearowl.jpg  
Old 02-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Unicellular Fungi

I've been there! They have snakes too. Do you have any photos of their snakes or other animals? We missed one of their presentations by an hour or so. We totally missed the owl prowl. My girlfriend and me really wanted to do that. The people who volunteer there mingled and answered questions which was nice. This is a first class operation. Your photos are so nice. What other programs have you attended that they offer?

Here's their website:
http://www.worldbirdsanctuary.org/
Old 02-15-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
Heron

I rather like/still prefer my owls uncaged . Sometimes in the twilight hours I am sitting on one of the many swings we have scattered around the property and one will light briefly and "visit " for a minute or so . Sometime in the near future I wish to create a habitat for some barn owls in addition to the burrowing owls .
Attached Thumbnails
Owls for Education-dcp_5517.jpg  
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
Unicellular Fungi

Of course we'd all prefer our owls uncaged. Many of their owls are rescues. They can't be released back to the wild. The stories behind how they came to have some of their owls were tear jerkers. At least to me they were. I've seen some of your burrowing owl habitat. You are one in a million is all I can say. I'd love to see how you're going to go about creating barn owl habitat.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
Of course we'd all prefer our owls uncaged. Many of their owls are rescues. They can't be released back to the wild. The stories behind how they came to have some of their owls were tear jerkers. At least to me they were. I've seen some of your burrowing owl habitat. You are one in a million is all I can say. I'd love to see how you're going to go about creating barn owl habitat.
A little more time and maybe we can get into that , Due to some limitations , typing for me is diffucult/time consuming and I cannot keep up with all the posting I would like . I still have a few other threads I need to get back to before I start more .
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
Mentor

The bird sanctuary offers birds walks, vacation packages you can sign onto, owl prowls, and a certain time of the year they put the birds out for naturalistic photos in trees and stuff. The breeding facility is a pretty big operation that can e visited one or two days per year (call in advance to find out when), and there is a bird hospital there too. They also have trails that can be walked anytime they are open. Pileated woodpeckers are pretty much a garuanteed sighting there anytime the leaves are not out, and vultures are usually around too, often I find turkey feathers so I know turkey are roaming through there to other parts of the park. I also find a lot of snakes and salamanders on the property. Barred owls roam the woods, I've heard them a number of times. I am no expert on population density but I think the deer and raccoon populations are too high perhaps.

Anyway, yea there are other buildings with kesterels and owls and snakes and stuff. It's really a cool place. They are trying to breed thick billed parrots for release into the southwestern US now according to some signs I saw. Further into lone elk park there is are bison and elk herds that can be seen. As far as I can tell almost all of the birds, on display are not suitable for release into the wild. If you look closely many have eyes that are out, crippled legs, etc. Often there is a sign that tells you what happened to the bird and what could be done to prevent future occurances.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
Unicellular Fungi

The trails were about all we were able to enjoy. If we had known that gem in St Louis existed before we were at its doorstep, we would have been able to change our dates to be able to sign up for that owl prowl. So disappointed we couldn't do the owl prowl. I have a niece who is in college in MO studying journalism. I'm going to visit her this spring and maybe I can coordinate an owl prowl with the weekend I'll be down there.

I hope when you go back you take more photos. Maybe you could include some of the signs. The signs were tear jerkers because so many of the injuries sustained by the birds were so visible and so avoidable. So avoidable if...
Old 02-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #9
Mentor

Lorax, I'll take my camera with me next time I go out there. You can also do owl prowls with the MO Department of Conservation, just in case there is not one at WBS when you go http://mdc.mo.gov/areas/stlouis/ . You can also search the MO-BIRDS mailing list and often people post owl roosting spots around the city on there. Offhand, I know Great Horned owls are often found in the woods across the street from the BoatHouse in Forest Park and Barred owls are often found in pine trees located off Skinker in Forest Park just before you would enter the Oak Savana.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #10
WG Staff

Thank you midwesternerr. These types of photos help make Wildlife Gardeners what it is. We want members to be able to avoid the pitfalls of injuring wildlife. A picture WILL BE worth a thousand words and will go a long way educating the lurkers who may not have sanctuaries within driving range.

Tags
education, owls