Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 07:55 AM   #21
Grub

The picture of the hawk with the arrow is truly sad,it sickins me to think a fellow outdoorsman would inflict such an injury.Some people have no respect
rondo769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #22
Grub

I volunteer at the local raptor rehab center,every now and then we get a hawk or owl thats been shot,sad.Afew years ago a guy brought in a red tailed hawk shot with a 22,he said he found it while out hunting,he was under investigation by the local CO and it was found that he was the one that shot it.The bullit was still in the bird and they removed it and matched the rifling to his gun.He recieved a $10,000 fine and 5 years in prison
rondo769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #23
Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
The arrow in the head is intense. May I use that photo?
Sure you can use any of these photos.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:57 PM   #24
Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondo769 View Post
I volunteer at the local raptor rehab center,every now and then we get a hawk or owl thats been shot,sad.Afew years ago a guy brought in a red tailed hawk shot with a 22,he said he found it while out hunting,he was under investigation by the local CO and it was found that he was the one that shot it.The bullit was still in the bird and they removed it and matched the rifling to his gun.He recieved a $10,000 fine and 5 years in prison
Good that he was caught. Hopefully, people who might consider doing likewise will consider whether 5 years of being caged with large, hairy men is worth shooting at hawks
Old 02-19-2009, 06:07 PM   #25
Mentor

One other thing I'd like to add, if you do go to the Sanctuary there is a barn owl cam where you can watch it in its nest, this cam can be watched in the little house directly behind the fenced in area where the birds are perched. Actually, there are two little houses right next to each other but only one is open to the public. And if you find out when the opposum cage is being cleaned, you can watch them run around in the visitor center at the bottom of the hill.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:51 PM   #26
Official Plant Nerd

Thanks midwesternerr. I will put it to good use.

A Federal Prison is too posh for that guy with the 22. Too bad it was a Federal offense. He would have been much better served to be stuck in a State Pen.

That's no outdoorsman that shot that arrow at that hawk. That's a Geoffrey Dahmer in the making. Somebody who likes to torture animals.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:41 PM   #27
WG Staff

Another webcam. Three confirmed Eagle eggs in this nest:
http://www.wvec.com/cams/eagle.html
Old 02-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #28
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternerr View Post
And if you find out when the opposum cage is being cleaned, you can watch them run around in the visitor center at the bottom of the hill.
It would be as fun to watch the possums run around the visitor center as it would be to watch the visitors reactions when the possums start running around them!
Old 02-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #29
Unicellular Fungi

One of my staff spotted a pair of short eared owls nesting in a block of shrubs. Trying to et pictures but it ain't easy. They hide well. I did however collect pellets for DW who teaches AP Bio. A co-worker walked into my office and said "I'd like to say you are the first manager I've worked for who has a baggie of owl pellets tacked to a bulletin board in their office." Stuff like that is what makes working in the nursery business special.
Porthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #30
Unicellular Fungi

That's no work of a sportsman. Look closely at that arrow. It's one of those cheap arrows that is purchased in a 10 or 25 pack. That was some kid that shot that hawk. What a contribution to society his parents provided us with. Can't help but wonder what he'll do as an encore and can't help but wonder what types of offspring he'll produce in the future.

Tags
education, owls