Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Tree Swallow with Feather

I assumed the tree swallows I've seen at the nest box had already been raising their young (I admit, I've not opened the box to check), but today when I set up a tripod to catch them feeding, I found that they seem to still be feathering their nest.

YouTube - tree swallow with feather

"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I assumed the tree swallows I've seen at the nest box had already been raising their young (I admit, I've not opened the box to check), but today when I set up a tripod to catch them feeding, I found that they seem to still be feathering their nest.

[top]<iframe width="560" height="349" src="YouTube - tree swallow with feather" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very cool, Dap. You're going to have swallow babies!!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Very cool, Dap. You're going to have swallow babies!!!
Thanks, jack.

I'm hoping they are successful.

Did you get to watch the video?

I tried over and over again to use the embedded code from Youtube to put the video directly in my post. I failed each time...Jeff (who knows a lot more about these things than I) struggled with it and tried numerous things...but we ended up just with the link.

Funny, in your response, you quote one of the edited posts before I got the link right.

I was so thrilled to catch that on video. I set up the tripod and camcorder, then walked to the second acre...from that vantage point, I saw the tree swallow circling several times, getting near the nestbox and then flying off, when I viewed the video, I got a better idea of the reason for the behavior.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Thanks, jack.

I'm hoping they are successful.

Did you get to watch the video?

I tried over and over again to use the embedded code from Youtube to put the video directly in my post. I failed each time...Jeff (who knows a lot more about these things than I) struggled with it and tried numerous things...but we ended up just with the link.

Funny, in your response, you quote one of the edited posts before I got the link right.

I was so thrilled to catch that on video. I set up the tripod and camcorder, then walked to the second acre...from that vantage point, I saw the tree swallow circling several times, getting near the nestbox and then flying off, when I viewed the video, I got a better idea of the reason for the behavior.
Oh yea, the video came up fine.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I laughed when I saw her taking a flying run over and over hoping to shove it through that small entry.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Oh yea, the video came up fine.
Good. With all of editing I did to the post, I'm surprised you hit it at the right time.

I still don't understand how to get the video embedded in the post as opposed to just posting the link. I'm almost sure I used to be able to do it.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I laughed when I saw her taking a flying run over and over hoping to shove it through that small entry.
Yes, it made me smile...especially when she finally got it turned around and made it in.

I lucked out...I was expecting to see an insect in the beak and a direct flight to feed the young (that I'm assuming are not even there yet!).

Tags
feather, swallow, tree