Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #41
Alternate POM Judge

bb, What do the barn swallows build their nest in where they are nesting. Just wondering what attracts them. I would love to have them nest around my barn. Sounds like you have a lot of fun watching them.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #42
Salamander

They really like to use the ledges on my house. We need to check our 3-sided building to see what activity is in there. We put up dividers to see if more will nest in there. I read some place that they do not mind nesting close to one another if they do not see each other. Last year, the dividers made no impact that we could see.

In a Purple Martin catalogue I have, there are tidbits throughout and one of those was to nail two corn cobs side by side about 6 inches below the ceiling and the Barn Swallows are attracted to those.

Strangely, the first year they were on the porch, they did not use a ledge and it held up just fine. Maybe the surface was rough enough. ?? If they were on a ledge, we never could have viewed them from inside. (It is bird tape on the window, if you were curious about the stripes.

Yes, the swallows are a lot of fun. A second pair of Tree Swallows arrives yesterday, so even more Swallows. If only those Chimney Swifts would get over here! We had two towers built last fall. I am trying to be patient; we had the Swallow box up a full year or more before any occupants.
Attached Thumbnails
Purple Martins and their Housing-bswallow.jpg   Purple Martins and their Housing-swallow.jpg  
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #43
Alternate POM Judge

That is so cool bb. Thanks for sharing. Congratulations on attracting so many wonderful birds. I hope once I have gotten rid of the starlings around the barn that the barn swallows will move in.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #44
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

They are WELL on their way. 2015 Scout Arrival Page
The first of the scouts arrived this morning. First three, then two more. All five went to fluttering about the nest boxes.
The middle of the three still seems to be their favorite.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:43 AM   #45

The scouts arrived this morning.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:02 PM   #46
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
The scouts arrived this morning.
Congratulations! I hope that they choose your place to stay.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:03 PM   #47
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
I'm no Barn Swallow expert, but everywhere that I have seen their nests, they get little, or no, direct light. I have read that an eastern exposure is best for early morning warming by the sun.

Bird nesting boxes/sites remind me of trying to find a spot that a plant likes. On my acre, Cardinal Flower will only grow in one small spot, but does great there. Some Hydrangeas are in their third spot. I have decided to getting three of anything that I want and spreading them out, to see where they want to be.

I am putting up a ledge for Barn Swallows today. It's a project that I have put off for a few years. It's worth a try.
fishikmich, how did that ledge project come out? It's been a few years, but I find myself wondering if it was successful???

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #48

Been a long time since the scouts had arrived here in Michigan.
Today was the first day they started squawking at me when I passed by and I've been doing a lot of that while trimming up the yard!
Was almost a whole month before the females came and chose their nesting spots. Never realized they arrived so far behind the males before this.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #49
Alternate POM Judge

The purple martins are really struggling here. We have had weeks with no sun so no bugs for the birds. I hope everyone that has them is putting scrambled eggs out for them
Old 05-14-2016, 02:04 PM   #50

Put an orange out yesterday and it wasn't more than 5 minutes before an oriole found it. Now how do they recognize that as a food source way up here in Michigan. We haven't any orange trees here! Never did, never will!

Do the Orioles Winter over in like Florida or something where oranges are recognized and cherished by these birds?

Tags
babies, bird, bird house, birds, box, chicks, houses, housing, martin homes, martin houses, martins, nest, nesting box, nesting material, nests, protection, purple, purple martin, purple martins