Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #81
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I feel for you, jack.

It sucks that there is basically a house sparrow factory next door.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:02 AM   #82
Salamander

Thanks. I do a little bit for two small parcels of land. What really makes me feel good about what I do is when I can teach someone how to help native species and see them make it a way of life. My small contribution to local birds is only a temporary fix, unless others follow.

Jack, what would your neighbor say to reams of paper from every ornothology lab, every state wildlife management department and every birding organization in North America that all tell us to control house sparrows? Could he ever be persuaded to reduce the size of the holes to prevent HOSP entry? If he is so set on this and ignores scientific fact, why not put up an identical house with a dozen trap doors? That is exactly what I would do. I would make sure that he is home when I did the dirty deed. Every time! HOSP are curious and you would trap birds coming to reproduce next door. Be blunt. The law is on your side. Give him the opportunity for both of you to do what is right. I think that it would be fun! I'd start now for the spring season, starting in March here. I can get you a couple of links on how to make, or buy, entry door traps. There is always an answer when you are in the right.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #83
Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
...why not put up an identical house with a dozen trap doors?
Fish, something like this has never occurred to me. Would it work with European Starlings?
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #84
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Thanks. I do a little bit for two small parcels of land. What really makes me feel good about what I do is when I can teach someone how to help native species and see them make it a way of life. My small contribution to local birds is only a temporary fix, unless others follow.

Jack, what would your neighbor say to reams of paper from every ornothology lab, every state wildlife management department and every birding organization in North America that all tell us to control house sparrows? Could he ever be persuaded to reduce the size of the holes to prevent HOSP entry? If he is so set on this and ignores scientific fact, why not put up an identical house with a dozen trap doors? That is exactly what I would do. I would make sure that he is home when I did the dirty deed. Every time! HOSP are curious and you would trap birds coming to reproduce next door. Be blunt. The law is on your side. Give him the opportunity for both of you to do what is right. I think that it would be fun! I'd start now for the spring season, starting in March here. I can get you a couple of links on how to make, or buy, entry door traps. There is always an answer when you are in the right.
Well, the problem is I already know how he would react, and it would become a war between neighbors, something I or my nervous system are not up to. Funny thing is, he put the latest one up right next to my other neighbor house, a fellow I used to work with and know well. He's not as interested in the whole issue, but I know he was ****** when he saw it there. Even if the species wasn't aggressive and obnoxious in general, like they are; how does anyone stand the incessant chip chip sound they make? Who could think that was a positive addition to their lives??

I'll just continue to trap them and drown them here. I was wrong, by the way, in saying in my last post that there was no nesting going on. They have already moved into the new house. I'll go out in a few minutes and take some pictures of it.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #85
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
I understand, but at the same time, you have passed it on to others and they will pass it on as well. The birds, that you've provided housing for, pass on the unique DNA of your local population. All of that helps with the bigger picture.

Remember, posting here is inspiring and educating more people than you realize.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #86
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
Fish, something like this has never occurred to me. Would it work with European Starlings?
It works GREAT on starlings!!! I have one in my yard and trap a bunch every year. Old aluminum houses can be found at garage sales or EBay cheap. You can make a pretty one out of wood, if you like an effective yard ornament/trap. Insert traps are what I use. You can also buy, or make, your own door traps. With a door trap, you cover the opening with a bag attached to a cup. An external lever opens the hole and the bird zips into the bag. The rest is up to you.

I would be happy to help you every step of the way!
Old 07-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #87
Pope

Quote:
It works GREAT on starlings!!! I have one in my yard and trap a bunch every year. Old aluminum houses can be found at garage sales or EBay cheap. You can make a pretty one out of wood, if you like an effective yard ornament/trap. Insert traps are what I use. You can also buy, or make, your own door traps. With a door trap, you cover the opening with a bag attached to a cup. An external lever opens the hole and the bird zips into the bag. The rest is up to you.

I would be happy to help you every step of the way!
I am very intrigued. Any photos or diagrams that might give me a better sense of what you are describing? I am not a fan of the starling.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #88
Great Horned Owl

Default The villainous HOSP condo

These are a few shots of the latest one he put up. They are well constructed, but a machine gun can also be well constructed. It doesn't mean it's something you want near you.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bluebird Trail 2011 - Rated PG!-dsc00466.jpg   The Bluebird Trail 2011 - Rated PG!-dsc00465.jpg  

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #89
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
These are a few shots of the latest one he put up. They are well constructed, but a machine gun can also be well constructed. It doesn't mean it's something you want near you.
They are nice and could be used for good, instead of being used as a tool to destroy our native birds. I'm sorry, Jack. Go ahead and give up now. It will be too difficult to destroy as many HOSP as these houses will produce without getting a bigger trap.

I would declare a silent war, but that's me and I am always on the side of the law when I wage war. You have more rights to do anything legal to destroy HOSP than he has to breed them. Anyone with common sense would know that you are right and those that can't figure it out could simply be referred to your natural resources hunting guide, which allows you to kill as many as you can, 365 days a year. With that many houses, you could step it up and complain about his disease carrying flying rats to the local community health department.

But, why say a word? Put up a house and do whatever you want to do. He doesn't have to know and he has no right to know. If he asks, just say that you wanted some of those birds, too, after all. If he has three houses, you can have at least one. Nobody knows anything and you have no tensions between neighbors. If he gets wind of what you are up to, he can't say a word about it. You have state law, every birding organization and ornithology lab on your side. I do not know of an organization, other than PETA, that supports allowing HOSP to reproduce. It is similar to raising rats and mice in the neighborhood, on purpose. If he is allowing that many HOSP to breed, he really could be on the wrong side of the law. A complaint could certainly be filed, so he can't say a word about anything that you choose to legally do.

I haven't seen one here for a while. A male just brought in a juvenile to my feeders. I chose the juvenile. He is easy to spot. Nice way to start the day!
Old 07-23-2011, 08:11 AM   #90
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
I am very intrigued. Any photos or diagrams that might give me a better sense of what you are describing? I am not a fan of the starling.
I use an aluminum purple martin house with these insert traps:
PMCA Purple Martin Market Place

You can get these, too:
PMCA Purple Martin Market Place

Or, you can make your own. These are also very effective:
Starling Trap

How many do you have? We could fix you up with a walk in trap, if you need one! There are tons of options. I only have them in the spring and there were just a few this year here. The repeater is nice, but you have to remember to close all of your traps if you will be out for a while. I have trapped natives, aiming for S&S.

Tags
2011, bluebird, rated, trail