Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #71
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
No, I'm the one you accused of having "exotics."
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #72

...er...sorry.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-20-2011, 07:57 AM   #73
Pope

Hey Dap! Saw the new photo (on your blog). Congratulations on number four! That is a fine brood you've got.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #74

Thanks, Hedge.

I plan to take another picture now--here's hoping they've all hatched.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #75

I did want to ask if there is anything I can do about the heat--or should I just let them be?

In the past, I've let them be and they've seemed fine...or at least seemed to make it through. Tomorrow was supposed to be 97 degrees, but I think it will be a little less hot than they originally predicted.

Is there anything special you do for your birds during extreme heat, fishlkmich? With as many as you have, I can't imagine what you could do.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #76
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I did want to ask if there is anything I can do about the heat--or should I just let them be?

In the past, I've let them be and they've seemed fine...or at least seemed to make it through. Tomorrow was supposed to be 97 degrees, but I think it will be a little less hot than they originally predicted.

Is there anything special you do for your birds during extreme heat, fishlkmich? With as many as you have, I can't imagine what you could do.
If we were in Texas, I might get worried. Birds can handle incredible heat. Worry about cold. They pack aluminum 6"X6"X6" compartments with six martins, in houses exposed to 100+ degree days for many days in a row. Some folks down south use a mist system to cool housing. I have never bothered with anything up here.

The wood that most bluebird houses are made from provide some insulation. A well made bluebird house provides ventilation. Ventilation, including drain holes, keeps the housing dry and exchanges air.

These wild creatures can get through hard times. Food will be available and that is the most important thing. If you check them in the heat of the day today, I would bet that if you are quiet they will all be sleeping.

All four of the last clutch of bluebird eggs at home hatched on Sunday. I caught them half way through, when only two had hatched. Finally got to checking them yesterday. Assuming that this brood and the last brood at my remote trail all survive, this will be my best year for bluebirds. Never imagined that I could get 20 in the air in a year! Now I have a new record to beat. I'd love to see them become common in my lifetime.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
If we were in Texas, I might get worried. Birds can handle incredible heat... I have never bothered with anything up here.
Thank you for the advice. It makes sense. Aside from where they nest in nature without any help from humans, your comment about metal housing in full sun make it very clear to me. I've done nothing since I started hosting bluebirds...nothing except a little worrying probably.

I had read something about the heat on the Sialis site, I think, but it is good to double check with you--especially with all of your experience.

Quote:

All four of the last clutch of bluebird eggs at home hatched on Sunday. I caught them half way through, when only two had hatched. Finally got to checking them yesterday. Assuming that this brood and the last brood at my remote trail all survive, this will be my best year for bluebirds. Never imagined that I could get 20 in the air in a year! Now I have a new record to beat. I'd love to see them become common in my lifetime.
Congratulations! Great, great job!

It seems *you* might be instrumental in getting them back to being common in your lifetime.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #78
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
If we were in Texas, I might get worried. Birds can handle incredible heat. Worry about cold. They pack aluminum 6"X6"X6" compartments with six martins, in houses exposed to 100+ degree days for many days in a row. Some folks down south use a mist system to cool housing. I have never bothered with anything up here.

The wood that most bluebird houses are made from provide some insulation. A well made bluebird house provides ventilation. Ventilation, including drain holes, keeps the housing dry and exchanges air.

These wild creatures can get through hard times. Food will be available and that is the most important thing. If you check them in the heat of the day today, I would bet that if you are quiet they will all be sleeping.

Great job, Mark! My neighbor put up two more of those multi-compartment bird houses that the HOSP's love. I'm afraid I will never see a bluebird on this property. Tomorrow, I'll take a shot of the new one he just erected. His aging father makes them, and he's got three up around the edges of his two acres.

No nesting is going on here now, though. It's going to be close to 100 degrees tomorrow. I think nesting season is over for those flying rats. At least I hope so. I haven't seen any in my yard, but I took down all of the houses three weeks ago. If it isn't a HOSP causing the problem, it's a house wren.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Tomorrow, I'll take a shot of the new one he just erected.
"Shot of" or "shot at"?
Old 07-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #80
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
"Shot of" or "shot at"?
I lie awake at night trying to come up with a way of making those things self destruct. I'll take pictures tomorrow. Thing is, they are nicely crafted houses. Problem is, they are essentially HOSP condo's.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, bluebird, rated, trail