Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Birds Including Raptors & Hummers (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/)
-   -   Indigo bunting! (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/8564-indigo-bunting.html)

Sage 06-07-2011 08:44 PM

Cool!

ButterflyLinda 07-17-2011 09:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know if this blue bird in my first pic is an Indigo Bunting? I had a great bird day today and I'm trying to sort them out.
As far as the second, more colorful bird in the second pic I'm pretty sure it is a male Painting Bunting, although I haven't seen one before today.

Gloria 07-17-2011 10:14 PM

Wow, yes and yes!!!

dapjwy 07-17-2011 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You sure did have a great bird day, ButterflyLinda. Thanks for sharing.

I've never seen the painted bunting before...and what I have been calling an indigo bunting, looks different than your pic. Hmm...

Here is one I saw today:

Gloria 07-17-2011 10:48 PM

Oh no, that's a blue grosbeak in Butterfly Linda's pic. duh.

Gloria 07-17-2011 10:51 PM

Compare.
Identification Keys and Tips - "Blue" Grosbeaks and Buntings

I'm pretty sure you are right about the painted bunting. We saw a few in louisiana several years ago with a really good birder.

Gloria 07-17-2011 11:03 PM

I have seen the blue bunting in my garden a couple of times . Once it stayed around for a few days. Probably headed to breeding grounds. They have a smaller more fagile look than the grosbeak.

ButterflyLinda 07-17-2011 11:59 PM

Oh, yes, I see now...it IS a Blue Grosbeak! Thank you! I think more birds are coming around here lately because the drought is so severe in Texas that they might not have enough food and water where they usually would be staying. I'm having trouble keeping up with the wildlife...feeding birds, deer, hummingbirds, a family of free-range chckens (don't know where they came from, but not unusual in this area) and whatever other wildlife that shows up to eat with the deer and birds...or to steal my figs. And I put out quite a few water containers on my place. Build it and they will come, I guess.

dapjwy 07-18-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloria (Post 94118)
Compare.
Identification Keys and Tips - "Blue" Grosbeaks and Buntings

I'm pretty sure you are right about the painted bunting. We saw a few in louisiana several years ago with a really good birder.

Thanks, Gloria.

The side-by-side comparison makes it very clear, but when I scrolled down to see the additional pics (as thumbnails) they looked pretty similar again. ;)

I've really enjoyed seeing the indigo buntings periodically for several months now. :)

dapjwy 07-18-2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda (Post 94121)
...I'm having trouble keeping up with the wildlife...Build it and they will come, I guess.

~smile~

I hope you are enjoying your overload. :)