Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitraBenzoet View Post
This year I have a pair of chickadees nesting in a house that the House Wrens had been using the past few years (the house wrens moved into a diff house other side of the garden). I havent noticed them really interacting with eachother...

I hope you don't see a repeat of what happened to jack.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #22
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
wow thats interesting. This year I have a pair of chickadees nesting in a house that the House Wrens had been using the past few years (the house wrens moved into a diff house other side of the garden). I havent noticed them really interacting with eachother but itll be something to look into and keep an eye out for.
Sounds like a repeat scenario of what I just went through. They appeared to live in harmony for awhile and then - death and destruction...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:03 PM   #23

I'm sad to report that my bluebirds had some sort of tragedy too.

In three years, I've never actually *seen* any of them fledge, but in the past, I've heard the parents make quite a ruckus as I walked near the treeline--I always took this to mean that the fledglings were out and hiding there. This year, that didn't happen, but the nestbox was quiet and the father kept sitting atop it with bringing insects but never going in--I assumed he was trying to tempt the last couple fledglings to come out.

One thing I did notice (as I had set up a camcorder on a tripod and viewed the video later), was there were a couple of flies nearby--when I read linrose's comments about her loss and the flies (and smell...which I didn't notice), I started to wonder. I finally opened the box today to see that at least one of the babies never made it--possibly two (I didn't sort through the remains very carefully). I have no idea what happened, but I'm hoping that at least some of the five did make it (there were clearly not the remains of five). ~sigh~

I just hope that the tree swallows young don't meet a similar fate....or the bluebirds if there is a second brood (or more). The male was perched on the 2nd (empty) house (the tree swallows are in a recently set up third box).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 05-31-2011, 06:27 PM   #24
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

ohhh, that's so sad...
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
ohhh, that's so sad...
Yeah.

I'd like to believe that I'm still making a difference. I'm hoping that they have had successes in the past...I know I've never found anything but an empty nest until today. The pairs nest here every year. Hopefully, I'll see the the young birds and more than just one pair... I want to know I'm helping them increase their numbers.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #26
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Yeah.

I'd like to believe that I'm still making a difference. I'm hoping that they have had successes in the past...I know I've never found anything but an empty nest until today. The pairs nest here every year. Hopefully, I'll see the the young birds and more than just one pair... I want to know I'm helping them increase their numbers.
I was sorry to hear it happened to you too, Dap. Have you any idea what species was the culprit??? Seen any HOSPs or wrens lately???

Oracle at Delphi
Old 05-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
I was sorry to hear it happened to you too, Dap. Have you any idea what species was the culprit??? Seen any HOSPs or wrens lately???

No idea. I've not seen anything recently--I did see a house sparrow early spring...but only one day...and not since.

I'm not even sure it was a predator--it seems only one (possibly two) of the five was left in the box. It was mostly decayed except the beak and wing feathers--perhaps if I'd opened it earlier, I'd have known more, but I didn't realize anything was wrong. They were ready to fledge and I didn't want to open the box and make them leave too early.

I guess it likely was foul play, but I really have no idea.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #28
Grub

Well it would seem my(our) fears have happened once again. I really had no idea House Wrens were capable of such malicious acts (beyond pooping on people). I went out and took a look at the Chickadee's nest and found 3 dead hatchlings on the ground and a single egg shell. I cant say for sure if it was the House Wrens who did it but I did see one flying around the bushes before I took a closer look.

I will refrain from posting the gory pictures on here. If you want to see them... take a guess where they could be found.

But I will post a picture of the residence of suspected killer.
This House Wren has built quite a rap sheet for himself in the last week.
Attached Thumbnails
House Wrens as Chickadee Predator?-picture-056.jpg  
Old 06-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #29
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Well it would seem my(our) fears have happened once again. I really had no idea House Wrens were capable of such malicious acts (beyond pooping on people). I went out and took a look at the Chickadee's nest and found 3 dead hatchlings on the ground and a single egg shell. I cant say for sure if it was the House Wrens who did it but I did see one flying around the bushes before I took a closer look.

I will refrain from posting the gory pictures on here. If you want to see them... take a guess where they could be found.

But I will post a picture of the residence of suspected killer.
This House Wren has built quite a rap sheet for himself in the last week.
They are nasty creatures, even imf I am Anthromorphizing. (sp)

House wrens did it; It's exactly what happened to my nest.

Oracle at Delphi
Old 06-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #30
Grub

Just went outside, saw something at the bird house so i set up the camera and caught the house wren returning to the scene of the crime. He seems aware I was watching him.

YouTube - ‪House Wren returns to the scene of the crime‬‏

Tags
bird, bird behavior, chickadee, chickadees, competition, eggs, fledge, fledging, house, insects, nest, predator, wren, wrens