Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Bluebird Pair

I never have much luck with adding videos here...it is late and I should already be in bed, but I'm gonna try. If this fails, I'll get back to it tomorrow to try again.

Here (I hope) is a video of the bluebird pair that are gracing us with their presence in our yard. The young are close to fledgling age. I was lucky enough to get both the mother and father in the same shot.

Enjoy: YouTube - ‪Bluebird Pair Feeding Young‬‏
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:58 AM   #2
Fox

You got a good clip there! I didn't realize they had such a hard time getting a foothold on the opening.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
Great Horned Owl

Nice job, Dapjwy. I'm jealous. Though I think I have eliminated all of the house sparrows from the property, I thought it was too early to give tham access to housing so soon after either eliminating them or simply getting them to leave. None of my bird houses have holes large enough for bluebirds or house sparrows.

I thught it was a fine video!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #4

Thank you, benj1.

I really lucked out getting both of them at the same time and in the same clip. I still have others I took that I plan to edit together. I set up the camcorder on a tripod, then return later to change angles or zoom in or out.

Until you mentioned it, I didn't realize that it may be trouble getting their footing--I thought it was that they were trying to stick their head in while the babies clamour to be fed. I'll have to keep my eye on that. I have several with the male perched at the hole...not sure if it takes him a while to hold on or not.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 05-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Great footage! I love seeing successful bluebird nestings, I wish the babies well in fledging and hopefully you'll see another brood or two from the pair.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Nice job, Dapjwy. I'm jealous. Though I think I have eliminated all of the house sparrows from the property, I thought it was too early to give tham access to housing so soon after either eliminating them or simply getting them to leave. None of my bird houses have holes large enough for bluebirds or house sparrows.

I thught it was a fine video!
Aw, don't be jealous... ...you are well on your way if you eliminated the house sparrows. For the past two springs, I've seen one or two pass through...luckily they've never stayed. They don't come to the feeders all winter, so hopefully it is just a passing thing.

Do you have open spaces that are conducive to bluebirds? If so, perhaps you'll be attracting them soon. ...I keep adding more berry producing shrubs and hope to make the property even more to their liking.

Thanks, I was pleased with the video, too...but, really all I did was set it up, turn it on, leave, and return to turn it off again...oh, then I edited out the slow part before they showed up and after they left again.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Great footage! I love seeing successful bluebird nestings, I wish the babies well in fledging and hopefully you'll see another brood or two from the pair.

Thanks, linrose!

I am thrilled to have them...this is our third year with them--we moved in the fall, and by December I spotted a bluebird in the yard. I was absolutely thrilled (and a bit surprised as I don't think of them as winter residents). That spring I put up the first houses.

I'd *love* to get a movie of the fledglings fledging! I'd better get out there--seems like yesterday the parents were trying to tempt them to come out...it seemed to me they were holding back on feeding and sitting atop the house encouraging them to come out and see the big, wide world.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #8

jack,

I forgot to mention above that I really like your signature:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
"Think about it. Plants enable us to eat sunshine!"
Doug Tallamy

Flipping the Paradigm: Landscapes that Welcome WIldlife
Is it new...or am I just not very observant?

Also, the link to Flipping the Paradigm didn't seem to be working.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
jack,

I forgot to mention above that I really like your signature:

Is it new...or am I just not very observant?

Also, the link to Flipping the Paradigm didn't seem to be working.
Flipping the Paradigm is the name of the Tallamy essay that I got the quote from. It is confusing. I'll rectify that somehow.

The quote is new, I just read it this morning as my seniors are now gone for the year and I have some time on my hands at work to read new nature books!!!

Oracle at Delphi
Old 05-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
Great Horned Owl

Default Source of the Tallamy Essay

Just published by Timber Press is a compilation of sustainable gardening essays, one of which is by Doug Tallamy. Great pictures throughout add interest to the content. All perspectives are included, with Tallamy's being the most insistent on planting native all of the time. Other contributors are Ricke Darke, Thomas Christopher (also the editor), David Deardorff, Toby Hemenway, and others.

The Tallamy essay is superb! He's so convincing and writes so well. I think he's turned the gardening world on its head with his knowledge and communication skills. He's certainly had a profound affect upon me.

Available at Amazon:

Amazon.com: The New American Landscape: Leading Voices on the Future of Sustainable Gardening (9781604691863): Thomas Christopher, Rick Darke, Douglas W. Tallamy, Toby Hemenway, John Greenlee with Neil Diboll, Eric Toensmeier, David Wolfe, Ed Snodgra

Oracle at Delphi

Tags
bluebird, pair