Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2020, 06:50 PM   #11
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Jack, I was out for a walk today along a country road; while walking I was thinking about seeing a hummingbird at my Monarda didyma patch and wondering what I had to attract them earlier in the year. So, I asked Google "Do hummingbirds visit blueberry flowers (voice to text technology still amazes me). What amazed me more was that your post (quoted above) came up in answer to my query. The Google assistant (or whatever it is) read to me "According to Wildlife Gardeners..."

Nice to see WG still shows up in searches. You are internet famous!
Attachment 46671

Attachment 46672
That's nice to know!!! Fame has always eluded me, ha ha!!! As to your talking to your birds and animals, Dap, I do the same thing. My catbird knows me (it's a fact that they recognize one person from another), and he now follows me around to see what I'm up to. The other day I took the canvas backed chair down to the yard to read there for awhile. Almost immediately, the catbird was in the shrub behind me, not scolding me, as I've known him to do, but actually singing all the while I was reading. It was like he approved and was totally unafraid of my presence there...

I'm a big catbird fan!!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:31 PM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
That's nice to know!!! Fame has always eluded me, ha ha!!! As to your talking to your birds and animals, Dap, I do the same thing. My catbird knows me (it's a fact that they recognize one person from another), and he now follows me around to see what I'm up to. The other day I took the canvas backed chair down to the yard to read there for awhile. Almost immediately, the catbird was in the shrub behind me, not scolding me, as I've known him to do, but actually singing all the while I was reading. It was like he approved and was totally unafraid of my presence there...

I'm a big catbird fan!!!
I love that! What an awesome experience (for both of you).

This spring, I put out oranges for the orioles...the catbird was the first to find it. He loved them. I put out some almost every day, probably for weeks. I am now on his good side.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:43 PM   #13
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I love that! What an awesome experience (for both of you).

This spring, I put out oranges for the orioles...the catbird was the first to find it. He loved them. I put out some almost every day, probably for weeks. I am now on his good side.
And you can be sure he was watching you when you were putting them out. You ARE on his good side, ha ha!!! A good place to be, as they scold fiercely!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:54 AM   #14
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
And you can be sure he was watching you when you were putting them out. You ARE on his good side, ha ha!!! A good place to be, as they scold fiercely!

He (and the other wildlife) likelybsee me digging the newest section of my pond. I am making sure to have places to dring and bath...so, I'm hoping I stay on his good side.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blueberries, hummingbirds