Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #21
Official Plant Nerd

I keep clicking on the word nature and I'm getting zip nadda nothing. I wanna see!!! I wanna see! It's killing me not getting to see some guy getting all weirded out!!!
--
linrose> You're SUPPOSED to give a spew alert for "stuff" like this, "It did get a little weird when he stated he was "in love" with one of the turkeys he named "Sweet Pea" and started eating grasshoppers and crickets in the field right along with the turkeys when the went on their daily walks. Then after Sweet Pea was killed he took up with one of the males he called his "brother" until the turkey attacked him one day and he whacked it with a big tree branch.

There might be an underlying message there somewhere. The postscript said he was now living in Wyoming with a pack of mule deer. Hmmmm....
"
Old 11-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #22
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Sorry about not issueing a "spew alert"! I didn't know there was such a thing and what makes one person LOL is not a skill of mine.

As a disclaimer, I really liked this show. The way the guy interacted with the turkeys and discovered their ways was incredible. The cinematography was excellent, I wondered how they got most of those shots, obviously the guy had a camera crew there for the year's duration so he wasn't totally alone. Perhaps he went a little too far afield but that's bound to happen if you live with turkeys for a whole year (no pun intended). My take was that I learned a whole lot about turkeys from this guy, and I ended up feeling just a little bit sorry for him that his best friends were turkeys. The attachments he created, the bonding necessary for him to be a "momma" to those chicks sort of made him lose touch with reality a bit. Then of course he had to deal with loss and the facts of nature, prey and predators, disease and death.

Here is a link to the show, you be the judge. Everyone will probably see this story differently.
My Life as a Turkey ~ Full Episode | Nature | PBS
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #23
Official Plant Nerd

Alrightie.... I watched it. I liked it. Fascinating actually.
--
My take is this was a "made for" Nature documentary so I'm sure there was a little artistic license taken by the writers and editors spicing up his character for their intended audience. I doubt seriously if this guy's any more weirded out than any other scientist would be after intentionally imprinting himself on a batch of turkeys then hanging with em for a year. I can see falling in love with 1 of his hatchlings in much the same way I fell in love with 1 of our chicken hatchlings. Little buggers are all cuter than the dickens and we're ultimately responsible for their survival and.... there's always gonna be 1 that stands out from the rest as being more interested in interacting with us than the others. How can you not help "falling in love" the whole lot of them... they're just so darn cute in your lap. I didn't interpret that as akin to falling in love with a husband or a new child but more the way we fall in love with a stray cat we take in or how we fall in love with the experience of watching birds that come to our feeders so I'd agree that everyone's gonna see the story a little differently based on personal experiences of "falling in love". As far as Turkey Boy being his brother.... I took that as he was a "bird" brother in much the same way he was no longer the "bird" mother to the chicks but just another "bird" once they had matured to the degree they could survive on their own without him. I did feel bad for his character when he discovered Sweet Pea had been killed in much the same way I felt bad for myself when 1 of my hatchlings fell off her perch and broke her neck. Things happen and we humans always have our favorites... bummer when the favorite bites the dust because they've been elevated above the others in our minds.
--
I laughed when he said, "The smooth green 1's are beginning to look very tasty." Reference being to a particular species of grasshopper. If he was out there pretty much from sun up to sun down working on this documentary.... he had to be hungry most of the time so I could see how after a few months of having no snacks within reach that the smooth green 1's really could begin to look very tasty. When I saw him sample 1 then plop the other half in his mouth... I knew I woulda done the same thing. What the heck... they're not poisonous and worst thing that could happen is that they tasted so bad raw we'd have to spit em out.
--
Great observation that turkeys were 2M year old birds that don't have a blueprint for an automobile or a pickup. Neat "peek" into the actual man of the documentary... not his character.... when he commented that we (humans) don't have a privileged access to reality. We don't actually if we really think about it. Overall... I felt the man was pretty well grounded and there were hints he hadn't "lost" it throughout such as his casual acknowlegment of his inevitable return to his own species.
--
linrose> I'm just kidding about a spew alert. I love to laugh and what you typed was incredibly funny.... especially to someone who hadn't seen the flick. I was eating when I read it anyway so what's a few crumbs on the keyboard!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #24

Yeah, I assumed they dramatized the situation to make it more interesting for the viewer, that's what they do on TV I don't care who produced it.

We all feel compassion, or other emotions for animals we care for, it's in our DNA. but it's also healthy, I think, to have some distance. After all, we are not of the same species but we can relate on some level. Yes, that guy delved deeper than most and perhaps got a bit lost in that alternate reality but it's not the worst thing that could happen to a person, especially if he can understand it and move on.

I know you are attached to your birds, and dedicated to their happiness and survival but you also have "a life" outside that, way different than what's happening here. This guy is a scientist that researches human imprinting on animals which I'm a little wary of anyway and it's a whole different ballgame. He might be more "normal" than the show lets on but if you are going to live alone with wildlife 24/7 it is a bit out of the norm no matter how you slice it.

Oh and BTW, I do agree with him on humans not having priviliged access to reality. We really know nothing at all. I accept that premise, especially after watching the show that followed on the String Theory of the Universe which I had to concentrate on very hard to understand one word of it. 4 dimensions, 6 dimensions, 26 dimensions . . . . ?????
Old 11-22-2011, 04:42 AM   #25
WG Operations, Facilitator

Linrose, your review of the show, My Life as a Turkey, is just too humorous ....so of course I now have to click on the link and watch it.

Then I got to thinking....I sort of displayed the same behavior as the Turkey Man when the orphan bear cubs imprinted on me.
I put ants in my mouth! No wonder everyone thought I was nuts.

added later:
OK finished watching the film. I thought it was really good. Enjoyed hearing the story told with the "Turkey man's" own words.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #26

I thought of you BBBB and your bears. Great to hear your take on the show. Ants - really???? I don't think I could have done that. I can't even watch that show on the Travel Channel where they eat bugs and stuff. It reminds me of Fear Factor and those hissing cockroaches. Ewwwww.

I rewatched some of it and didn't pick up on the fact the first time around that it was actually a reenactment of events, not in real time. That explains some of the amazing cinematography and why the camera crew was there in the first place. I liked hearing him recount his year as a turkey too. It made the story very personal and real.

I'm just glad "Turkey Boy" lived to see another day after getting whacked with a stick. It would not have made such a nice story if he'd actually killed the poor bird. Now I gotta go start getting the food ready for Thanksgiving dinner. Roast veggies anyone???
Old 11-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #27
WG Operations, Facilitator

Linrose,
The more I think about the Turkey Man special that I watched, the more I realize that what I did with the bear cubs was the same. The only difference is the Turkey Man fellow assumed the role of Turkey Mom, and I assumed the role of Bear Mom. There was no "sort of doing it" or "halfway doing it," you HAD to be completely immersed into the role.

Near the end when TurkeyBoy becomes agressive towards Turkey Man, was the only portion of the story that did not resemble mine. I never endured a bite, swat or scratch from my bear orphans (lots of licks, mouthing, slobber, touching, rubbing tho). Even after 4 years, one of the males from my quads still visits me with the "mommy look" in his eyes. This past spring Flora poked me in the rump with his nose while I was on the ground bent over cleaning up debris from under an apple tree. When I turned around there was Flora and we greeted with a nose touch and mouth sniff! (typical bear greeting between bears that know each other.)
Old 11-23-2011, 09:05 AM   #28

Your's is an incredible story BBBB! I'm happy that you didn't have the same disappointments as Turkey Man and your bears are alive and well after 4 years.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #29
Official Plant Nerd

I've been looking for this thread!!!
--
"I know you are attached to your birds, and dedicated to their happiness and survival but you also have "a life" outside that, way different than what's happening here." I'm "attached" to some of our birds in the same way I'm "attached" to all the stray cats we've hauled in this house. I know they only love us because we’re too big to fit in their mouths. I don't know that I'm so much dedicated to their happiness as I am to their health and well being. I've bought cat toys… more for our amusement but…. I’ve never bought a chicken toy. I did dig out a pit for our girls and filled it with play sand and ashes so they could have dust bath parties though. Distance is healthy that's for sure but.... if Nature paid me enough and wanted to refer to me as a naturalist..... I'd hang out by our incubator peeping at eggs before they hatched so I could "imprint" myself on them within that alleged golden window of opportunity that some believe exists…. I don’t but some do. I’m pretty sure there’s a lot of folk who could be “counted in” for bonding with birds and delving deeper getting a bit lost in an alternative reality when there’s enough $$$ on the table and most would move on after they deposited the last paycheck. That all goes back to that dramatization of the situation you mentioned. I’m just beyond thrilled Nature didn’t Disneyfy (sp?) those turkeys. I saw no anthropomorphism, did you? To me the lack was apparent throughout but most evident when they showed the “reenactment” of Turkey Boy practicing display, challenge, and attack for dominance over his….”mother” no…. “brother” no…. just another “bird”. Turkeys are hardwired for survival and can be ferocious…. more so than most wild birds. He was playing with fire once that wild bird reached sexual maturity. Nature trumped nurture…. it usually does with wild animals and the viewer got a glimpse into that realm.
--
My only disappointment with the WHOLE flick was that the producers didn’t show their main character helping that rat snake out of its predicament after it dined on 1 of his chicks. That was a teachable moment and they didn’t capitalize on it. I’m pretty sure he didn’t kill it… no way would a biologist kill a magnificent snake like that just trying to eek out a living…. they left their viewer assuming he did IMO.
--
4B> “Then I got to thinking....I sort of displayed the same behavior as the Turkey Man when the orphan bear cubs imprinted on me.
I put ants in my mouth! No wonder everyone thought I was nuts.”
The bear cubs left an imprint on your heart and…. mine and…. everyone else’s heart. Your photos make folk sigh with relief that you gave em a fighting chance of making it to adulthood!!! IF you hadn’t bonded with them and if they didn’t learn to recognize you as a “protector” and “provider”…. they woulda been toast. I feel it in my bones that your “mother hen” instincts kicking in saved all those little black butts. Inquiring mind (mine) wants to know….. what kinda ants and were they tasty raw and without a chocolate coating like they sell them in Mexico >>>>?

Tags
babies, bear cubs, behavior, chicks, imprint, imprinting, my life as a turkey, pbs, raising, research, show, television, time, turkey, turkey behavior, turkey chicks, turkeys, upbringing, wild turkeys, wildlife, wildlife behavior