Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Default Broad-winged hawk

I was amazed to see what I think was a broad-winged hawk perched on the fence near the prairie bed. It's been pouring rain all night and it was soaked and shaking itself to dry out. I read they are tamer than most hawks but I was still surprised to see it so close to the house. If I had a telephoto lens I could have gotten a great shot of it.

It had a rusty streaked breast and back and two white bands on its dark tail. It seemed rather smaller than a red-tailed or red-shouldered hawk but it could have been a red-shouldered. I think they are year-round residents but the broad-winged hawks migrate through here about this time of year.

Either way it was cool to see it. I'll keep an eye out for it again to double check the ID.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Please keep a camera handy even if just for ID purposes. I'd love to see a pic of your bird!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #3

I was kicking myself for not having the camera nearby, but even if I did my little first generation Kodak digital would not have the ability to zoom that far and be able to see much. I've been wanting a new camera for a long time now, what do you use or recommend? I kind of want a hybrid of point-and-shoot and manual adjustment digital with both good macro and zoom capabilities. I do a lot of close-ups but I do want the occasional long shot for situations just like this.

I'm still in awe of that beautiful bird, it made my whole day seeing it.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

There you go....Camera options ALL the info you could ever want on the point and shoots and then some...
I've yet to purchase one myself as once I discovered there were hybrids as you say...Actually VERY SMALL VERSIONS of the SLR'S
I wanted to look into that type as well before making a decision...
So far I have not gotten back to it...Too many other things taking up my time now....Spring is here at long last!

If you wish to pursue that type of camera...PLEASE feel free to ask about them or add any info you find along the way into that thread ANYTIME!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #5

Thanks for the camera option link havalotta! Wow that's a lot of information to process, but very good info. What did you end up buying? I'm going to look at both the Panasonics recommended and even look into the DSLRs. I used to be an avid photographer in high school, using an old SLR Pentax. Technology has changed considerably since then! I've got more homework to do.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Thanks for the camera option link havalotta! Wow that's a lot of information to process, but very good info. What did you end up buying? I'm going to look at both the Panasonics recommended and even look into the DSLRs. I used to be an avid photographer in high school, using an old SLR Pentax. Technology has changed considerably since then! I've got more homework to do.
Linrose,

I'm also in the market to purchase a hybrid "easy to use" effective camera. Could you keep us apprised of what you determine in your search? I could use the help in such a technological search.

jack

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #7

Sure! I've been putting the purchase off for over a year now, TMI out there to slog through. I'm going to find a good camera store to handle the cameras to see if they are a good fit for me. Unfortunately good camera stores are hard to find now with the big box store competition.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Sure! I've been putting the purchase off for over a year now, TMI out there to slog through. I'm going to find a good camera store to handle the cameras to see if they are a good fit for me. Unfortunately good camera stores are hard to find now with the big box store competition.
Great! I thank you beforehand. Perhaps I'll purchase the same choice and we can compare feature use.
About a month or so ago a coyote came right up to the house and was immediately outside my window. Now this was one of those Northeastern guys and he was huge and impressive in every way. I wanted so badly to take a picture of him, but had damaged my digital camera out in Yellowstone last summer and had not replaced or repaired it.

Repair is now out of the question, as I lust after one with better features and easier point and shoot qualities, like those hybrids are reputed to have. I'll await your progress in investigating what's best.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #9

Saw my broad-winged hawk again today, being chased by a crow! What causes this behavior? Is the hawk attacking the crow's nest or is the crow just being bossy? I watched them circle high above the field, the hawk calling all the while. Such a powerful awesome sound!
Old 04-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #10
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Repair is now out of the question, as I lust after one with better features and easier point and shoot qualities, like those hybrids are reputed to have.
Repairs cost almost as much as buying a whole new camera in the point and shoots anyway!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broadwinged, hawk