Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Cedar Waxwings/Juniper berries

The only abundant berry in our garden right now is the Juniper berries. I don't really think of them as berriers because they are small cone like structures. The two trees in our garden have an over abundance of berries this year that though eaten by the resident cardinals throughout the winter are still quite plentiful.
For the first time (to my knowledge) cedar waxwings have found the Juniper berries . This entire day over a dozen have been hanging out in the tops of the still leafless Maple tree making forays into the Juniper trees snatching berries. I am so excited. Nothing is getting done outside on this 80 degree sunny day because I do not want to disturb the cedar waxwings...lol

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Gloria,

How exciting is that! I've yet to see anything but pictures of cedar waxwings--wait a minute, that isn't quite true, last summer I saw a lone individual while I was walking. I've yet to have any in our yard and can't wait until I attract a flock.

You have a good excuse not to get anything done! I, on the other hand, do not...I'd better get out in the yard--although, tomorrow is our turn to be 80 degrees, so I might just have to do something outside after work.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
A Bee's Best Friend

dapjwy, the cedar waxwings mostly migrate through this area but I have seen them many times in Wisconin near a small lake. They find the highest perch possible and fly along the waters edge every evening. So watch for them high and near water.
But this is the first time in our very urban garden.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
dapjwy, the cedar waxwings mostly migrate through this area but I have seen them many times in Wisconin near a small lake. They find the highest perch possible and fly along the waters edge every evening. So watch for them high and near water.
But this is the first time in our very urban garden.

Thanks for the information...interesting because the one I spotted was near water (a stream) and I was on a bridge looking down--not the highest perch, but defitely up high. ...Maybe once my pond is in and my (now young) blackgum mature and produce berries, I'll get to see a whole flock of them.

I'm glad they are coming to your urban area.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berries, cedar, waxwings or juniper